Chem Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabishis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I am posting this question in the right forum category. I am planning on Gen. CHEM 1&2 this summer. I work fulltime(7am-6pm, Mon thru Thursday). I can't afford to work part-time. Do you think if med schools would accept online CHEM courses? I'll do labs on site, though. If I get lucky to get the interviews, I am sure I would be able to provide them with solid reasons why I took those online.

I would truly appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the rest of your background is from a 4 year U and your grades are good, I suspect that will be fine.

Before you sign up for the class, I would pick out a couple of med schools you are interested in and ask their admissions offices if they will accept a class like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the online version of this class listed differently than the in-class version? Do you think it will distinguishable from the in-class version on your transcript?

I ask because I have taken a number of online courses (through CCs) over the years in varying disciplines and they have all been listed exactly the same as their in-class counterparts. Therefore, there is no way anyone would know whether the class was taken online or not unless it was volunteered.

I am doing the same thing w/ my prereq courses (taking them online), I spoke with my advisor and no one can tell whether you took a class or not based on your transcript. So you will be fine taking the course online.

Good luck!

Same here! I am taking many of my pre-reqs online because of work and the TX schools accept them as long as they are accredited. If applying to any schools in TX call the Texas application service (TMDSAS) and they will let you know if the schools will accept that course. Good luck!

Along these lines...MSProspect or someone else, can you confirm or deny whether the TMDSAS app has a check box for you to indicate whether a course was an internet course? I know TMDSAS accepts them, and I know from my school that there is zero indication on the transcript that the class was online. But I believe someone mentioned somewhere that AMCAS had a place for you to check if the course was online. I don't see anything like that on the sample TMDSAS, but thought I'd see if anyone knows.

What are some of the schools you're finding online science courses at? I'm interested how one fulfills the lab component. I've got all the biologies I'd need, and I still am pretty well read in those fields. However, it's been six years since I had general chemistry so it'd benefit me to retake that before I considered taking organic chemistry which I wonder if it's available online as well. Physics anyone? Online?

I can speak only to Boise State U. You can take most of the general prereqs online (signed up for General Chem I/II now) but must take the lab on campus. That seems to be pretty standard from what I've researched. Online lecture and onsite lab. According to my pre-professional counselor, BSU doesn't differentiate on transcripts weather the class was online or not.

I think SUNY has some online classes - that's what I'm thinking of doing.
Anyone else find a different route to taking the pre-reqs?
I'm overseas so I need a 100% online program even for labs :(
Anyone have any suggestions?

SUNY seems like it'd be too expensive for what you're actually doing.

I am taking my chemistry classes through Oklahoma University and my biochemistry through UM. Since I am from TX and really want to go to a TX school I know these both transfer to the TX schools and the TMDSAS assistant said the schools will never know that you took them online. As for the lab some schools offer the online lab component called "late night labs" its a simulated lab where you have to pull beakers off the shelf measure things and keep a lab notebook plus all the calculations, just like being in lab. I would check with schools for the lab though because I know the TX schools want "formal lab" experience meaning in the classroom. Gook Luck!

I am taking my chemistry classes through Oklahoma University and my biochemistry through UM. Since I am from TX and really want to go to a TX school I know these both transfer to the TX schools and the TMDSAS assistant said the schools will never know that you took them online. As for the lab some schools offer the online lab component called "late night labs" its a simulated lab where you have to pull beakers off the shelf measure things and keep a lab notebook plus all the calculations, just like being in lab. I would check with schools for the lab though because I know the TX schools want "formal lab" experience meaning in the classroom. Gook Luck!

I just stumbled across Late Nite Labs via Oregon State University which offers both online General Chem and Organic Chem and that lab component. It seems doable. A friend of mine took two upper level science courses from there a while back, on a whim more than anything, and he said he probably learned more in those two courses than he ever did in college. Sadly, I can't find an online physics course. :confused: I'll be calling UAMS tomorrow, and I finally have an online course of study to run by them.

If you want to try something radical... try a Athabasca University in Canada. They have all the prereqs online... some labs are done at the university, or there are some with home labs... like physics.