Chem question Kaplan Pg531

Started by Glowwyrm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Glowwyrm

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the 2007 edition but I think the 2006-2007 edition is the same.

Page 531 #4 asks:
Calculate the amount of heat needed to bring 10 g of ice from -15C to 100C.

In their solution it looks as though they are converting C to K. I'm not sure why they are getting 15K, 100K, and 10K. Anyone with this book know if it's a typo and they actually mean C instead of K? Still, we'd need to convert to K so that we would end up with the correct units for the answer. Does the 2006-2007 edition also have this as the solution?
 
I have the 2007 edition but I think the 2006-2007 edition is the same.

Page 531 #4 asks:
Calculate the amount of heat needed to bring 10 g of ice from -15C to 100C.

In their solution it looks as though they are converting C to K. I'm not sure why they are getting 15K, 100K, and 10K. Anyone with this book know if it's a typo and they actually mean C instead of K? Still, we'd need to convert to K so that we would end up with the correct units for the answer. Does the 2006-2007 edition also have this as the solution?

The book is correct.
The given heat capcities have cal/ g K units, so we must convert delta T to K. Delta T in K degree has the same value with delta T in C degree. For example, we need to calculate delta T from 0 C to 100 C.
Delta T (K)=(100+273)-(0+273)=100 K
Delta T (C)=100-0 =100 C
I hope that it helps.