Chem Question

Started by dane4695
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dane4695

studyin` machine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the density of NH3 gas @ 2 ATM and 298 K if you assume R=.1


I know D= M / V so I figured to solve V2:

V2 = v1 (p1/p2)(t2/t1)

Then you could just plug that into PV=nRT to get n... which then could be used

N*MM / V = Density?

Anyway, I"ve definitely off somewhere, so if someone could correct me I'd be very happy 🙂
 
I had to think for a bit about this problem. But some simple substitution and you'll get the answer.

We know PV = nRT. Keep that in the back of your mind.
We know that D = m / V and m = n * (Molar Mass) so D = (n * Molar Mass) / V

Now, we rearrange the PV=nRT formula so that n / V = P / (R * T)
Now, multiply both sides by the Molar Mass to get (Molar Mass * n) / V = (P * Molar Mass) / (R * T).
This is D=(P * Molar Mass) / (R * T).

Plug in values and there is your answer.

Hope that helps.