chem question

Started by jmr5008
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jmr5008

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so I'm in gen chem II right now, and i have a dumb question for anyone that can help me. I took my gen chem I at a different school, so things are worded differently in this class etc. but anyway i'm doing a problem right now, and I'm confused on one of the units it uses:
Problem:
Convert each of the following H30+ concentrations to pH:
c) 4.8 mM

All the other questions give you things like 4.0 M which is easy to do. But what is mM? I don't remember seeing mM anywhere, unless they mean MM like molar mass?? thanks.
 
so I'm in gen chem II right now, and i have a dumb question for anyone that can help me. I took my gen chem I at a different school, so things are worded differently in this class etc. but anyway i'm doing a problem right now, and I'm confused on one of the units it uses:
Problem:
Convert each of the following H30+ concentrations to pH:
c) 4.8 mM

All the other questions give you things like 4.0 M which is easy to do. But what is mM? I don't remember seeing mM anywhere, unless they mean MM like molar mass?? thanks.

mM means mili-M = 10^-3 of M.
 
so I'm in gen chem II right now, and i have a dumb question for anyone that can help me. I took my gen chem I at a different school, so things are worded differently in this class etc. but anyway i'm doing a problem right now, and I'm confused on one of the units it uses:
Problem:
Convert each of the following H30+ concentrations to pH:
c) 4.8 mM

All the other questions give you things like 4.0 M which is easy to do. But what is mM? I don't remember seeing mM anywhere, unless they mean MM like molar mass?? thanks.

mM means mili-M = 10^-3 of M. So 4.8mM = 4.8 x 10^-3 M. And you do the rest to get the result.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok and you are considering a career in pharmacy????? Bummer !!!!!!!!!

Ah, come on! :laugh: There's no gene that codes for knowledge of sub-molar metric values. In fact, I'd guess that 90% of the US population couldn't tell you how much water is a liter and 99% couldn't tell you how much a mole is. Give the guy a break. We all had to start somewhere (including me and, I suspect, YOU).
 
firstly im a girl lol
secondly so what i didnt know what the symbol was. i'm in gen chem for chrissake not some graduate course on chemistry. i knew what it was after he said it, i figured it was some obscure term since my professor is famous for that. i obviously know how to use the metric system by now...
 
firstly im a girl lol
secondly so what i didnt know what the symbol was. i'm in gen chem for chrissake not some graduate course on chemistry. i knew what it was after he said it, i figured it was some obscure term since my professor is famous for that. i obviously know how to use the metric system by now...

Guy/girl - no intellectual difference. And I was talking to the person who was so harsh with you - not you. 🙂

Good luck.