Chemistry and Trigonometry at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr.Barker&Mr.Scootches

Doggo Pre-Med
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be a good idea to take both during the summer at a community college?

I absolutely must take a chem 102 in the summer, because otherwise I would have to wait 2 semesters for organic chemistry/Biochemistry (Organic chem 1 is only available during the fall, same with Biochemistry)

At the same time, I thought of taking Trigonometry in the summer as well because need to take calc to get into my major (requires calc to get in the bio major)

Is this a good idea?
 
Not a particularly great idea at all. Taking a summer course at a CC has two issues
1) it can appear looking for a "easier" way instead of taking it regular term at you normal 4 year school
2) it also has a very compressed timeframe and unless you are really focused on it without other things such as work, summer fun, etc, you can easily fall behind with no chance to catch up

That said, it wont kill you to take a prereq during the summer but get an A and do well in following chemistry

What if you’re taking a separate science course, not a prerequisite but another one in addition to your alma mater’s courses? So you’re taking classes at your alma Mayer but an additional science w lab at your local CC?? not a prerequisite, mainly taking it Bc my alma Mater won’t allow me to
 
Medical schools looking at your transcript have no way to see “why” you did take it. So the question can remain. Again, taking a course or two over the summer isnt the worst thing

True. I mean I’m taking a science course with the lab right now at my local cc so it’s not over the summer. It’s just better for my schedule and I’m doing well in it. It’s not a prerequisite tho... should be OK i hope (?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Edit: Turns out I really might not need to. My (last) question was about the two different Organic chemistrys my school had, and at the time, I did not know what the difference is. Turns out there isn't a big difference (with exception to the prerequisites) All I need to do is ask permission to take Biochemistry when it becomes available Fall 2020

Don't need to take classes in the summer after all!
 
Edit: Turns out I really might not need to. My (last) question was about the two different Organic chemistrys my school had, and at the time, I did not know what the difference is. Turns out there isn't a big difference (with exception to the prerequisites) All I need to do is ask permission to take Biochemistry when it becomes available Fall 2020

Don't need to take classes in the summer after all!


It would be a good idea to learn about biochemistry on your own before the class. You will find that it is very interesting and the more you know coming into the course, the better off you will be.