Chemistry Equilibrium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UndergradGuy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heat + CaSO3(s) <-> CaO(s) + SO2(g)

What change will cause an increase in the pressure of SO2(g) when equilibrium is re-established?

A. increase the reaction temperature
B. adding some more CaSO3
C. decreasing the volume of the container
D. removing some of the CaO(s)

I get how each would shift the reaction. A, C, and D would shift it to the right. B would shift it to the left.

Does this have nothing to do with shifting of the equilibrium? Do they just mean that higher temp = molecules move faster so higher pressure?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
heat + CaSO3(s) <-> CaO(s) + SO2(g)

What change will cause an increase in the pressure of SO2(g) when equilibrium is re-established?

A. increase the reaction temperature
B. adding some more CaSO3
C. decreasing the volume of the container
D. removing some of the CaO(s)

I get how each would shift the reaction. A, C, and D would shift it to the right. B would shift it to the left.

Does this have nothing to do with shifting of the equilibrium? Do they just mean that higher temp = molecules move faster so higher pressure?

I don't believe solids are considered to have any impact on the chemical equilibrium. Therefore B and D have no effect, C shifts to the left with no dynamic change in actual pressure, and A shifts to the right.

Whoops, I just noticed the solid part. All the questions I was doing were all g or liquid so I got used to not checking for that. I knew it was an easy solution. Thanks.

Boyle's Gas Law will help you understand this kind of problem...

when pressure is increased, the volume is decreased (with respect to SO2)...