Chemistry in Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmcdc

Troches & lollipops
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

To you P1's and above, can you tell me how much undergrad chemistry is needed once accepted. I made A's through gen chem, and B's through Orgo. However I played the grade game. I am quite comfortable with nomenclature I even liked organic (writing rxn's :rolleyes: not as much). I hated gen chem(although I liked the labs) and learned what I needed to know to succeed............. How is med. chem in comparison to undergrad chem?

Members don't see this ad.

we tend to focus less on med chem and much more on practical application, for which i am thankful. however, certain things are good to know... like due to a sulfa-moiety on the loop diuretcs, you'd want to use ethacrynic acid instead for patients with a sulfa allergy...

Know your acid/base stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
im in the middle of dp2- all we did was acid-base stuff- pH/pka, polarity and the very basic concepts of oganic- like whats polar... i was worried cos i am bad at chem but you dont need to know that much, each year the professors try to remind you everything- at least at my school

I agree about acid/base and polarity being important. It's also good to know your functional groups. I think once you get to Med Chem if you have any problems most of this stuff you can just look up either on the internet or in an undergrad book.

I was really intimidated about Chemistry in pharmacy school because it's never been my best subject, but it really isn't that bad. I think the focus is different and it seems more understandable for some reason.

Hey,
Thank you all for your responses. :thumbup: You all confirmed what I have been told before. I cant wait to get in. I know it will be challenging, but I think it will be fun as well! Has your experiences been as such?

I am a Med Chemist.
I think you'll like it. I can't wait to take the class myself, although I think they should let me test out. (If I ever get in, that is)
If you hated Gen Chem think about this: I had to review a ton of Gen Chem for the PCAT. That should tell you how they are not very related...

I couldn't agree more with pharmagirl--I definitely second her post.

pharmagirl said:
I agree about acid/base and polarity being important. It's also good to know your functional groups. I think once you get to Med Chem if you have any problems most of this stuff you can just look up either on the internet or in an undergrad book.

I was really intimidated about Chemistry in pharmacy school because it's never been my best subject, but it really isn't that bad. I think the focus is different and it seems more understandable for some reason.