Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Chemistry in Pharmacy school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Pharmcdc, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hello all,

To you P1's and above, can you tell me how much undergrad chemistry is needed once accepted. I made A's through gen chem, and B's through Orgo. However I played the grade game. I am quite comfortable with nomenclature I even liked organic (writing rxn's :rolleyes: not as much). I hated gen chem(although I liked the labs) and learned what I needed to know to succeed............. How is med. chem in comparison to undergrad chem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. golf299

golf299 Member
    10+ Year Member

we tend to focus less on med chem and much more on practical application, for which i am thankful. however, certain things are good to know... like due to a sulfa-moiety on the loop diuretcs, you'd want to use ethacrynic acid instead for patients with a sulfa allergy...

4. gablet

gablet Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Know your acid/base stuff

5. yatzek

yatzek Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    im in the middle of dp2- all we did was acid-base stuff- pH/pka, polarity and the very basic concepts of oganic- like whats polar... i was worried cos i am bad at chem but you dont need to know that much, each year the professors try to remind you everything- at least at my school

6. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree about acid/base and polarity being important. It's also good to know your functional groups. I think once you get to Med Chem if you have any problems most of this stuff you can just look up either on the internet or in an undergrad book.

I was really intimidated about Chemistry in pharmacy school because it's never been my best subject, but it really isn't that bad. I think the focus is different and it seems more understandable for some reason.

7. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hey,
    Thank you all for your responses. :thumbup: You all confirmed what I have been told before. I cant wait to get in. I know it will be challenging, but I think it will be fun as well! Has your experiences been as such?

8. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am a Med Chemist.
    I think you'll like it. I can't wait to take the class myself, although I think they should let me test out. (If I ever get in, that is)
    If you hated Gen Chem think about this: I had to review a ton of Gen Chem for the PCAT. That should tell you how they are not very related...

9. Asor

Asor SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I couldn't agree more with pharmagirl--I definitely second her post.