SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Chemistry majors?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by john9192, Mar 3, 2007.

1. john9192

john9192 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2006
    I am wondering how many predents in here are chem majors?
    I noticed that biology majors are the most common.
    I find chemistry way more interesting than bio. (that's just me)
    Do you guys think that chem majors are in disadvantage?(compared to bio majors??)

For those chem major folks,
    How many upper level biology classess have you guys taken?
    I finished, gen bio, gen chem, o chem, physics,
    Also taking 2 quarters of biochem and 2 quarters of microbio, and 1 quarter of physiology course. Is this enough???

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pmantz

pmantz Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I started as a bio major, and was going to change to a chem major cause I love chemistry, but my school offered a biochem degree which is a good mix of bio/chem. Got to take cell,micro,molecular,gentics,devo, alond with related chemistry classes.

4. diane07

diane07 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Sounds like you're taking a good mix of upper level division sciences. As long as you keep doing that, you should be fine. Keep up the good work!

5. SHC1984

SHC1984 Banned Banned 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I heard that a chemistry BS is actually more favorable then Biology BS, b/c chemistry BS is alot harder. I was a chemistry BS, but really really really really hate Physical Chemistry and the Lab, so I changed to a Chemistry BA and Biology Minor. That might hurt me I don't know, but if you are a chemistry BS, you will stand out alot b/c its hard!! good luck!!

6. darksky

darksky 2+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2007
    take more upper level (400-600) biology classes- immunology, histology, embryology, pathology, neuroscience, microbiology, genetics, anatomy/physiology, molecular biology, advanced cell biology, developmental biology, ... have fun !!!

7. skyNice

skyNice Banned Banned

Jul 21, 2006
    Great suggestions which will only do you good at D-school eventually. Also, chem students tend to ace these upper biological courses from my past observations.:cool:

8. kappa505

kappa505 eres tu que mi odio 5+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Sea of Ecstacy
    Schools dont really consider the degree of diffulculty of the major that you choose. All that matters to them is your GPA. Take chem if you want because you like it, or take bio because it is easier and will make it easier for you to get a higher GPA which will make it easier for you to get into d school.

9. PennPB

PennPB 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Chem major joining the fray...

I don't think any of my interviewers gave me any preference or any sympathy for B's in inorganic, advanced org synth, or mechanistic orgo. In fact, the last interviewer I met asked me why I didn't do as well in these courses :mad: .

However, he didn't question my DAT scores for chem.

I can't vouch for all chem majors performing well in higher level bio courses. However, I can tell you that chem will develop your mind as a "flowchart" learner,and this made immuno, histo, biochem, molecular bio, physio, and anatomy pretty simple.

10. Shoota39

Shoota39 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2006
    i was a chem major in undergrad and now im in my 1st year of d-school. The ONLY upper level bio class i took in college was human physiology. Other than i took your basic chem classes, quantitative chemical analysis, physical chemistry 1 and 2, instrumental chemical analysis, calculus based physics biochemistry, inorganic etc (Plus the pre-reqs: bio 1,2; gen chem 1,2, etc).
    i also was nervous that being a chem major would put me at a disadvantage but the material now is so dense that you really just sit at a desk and memorize it until you understand it. In my experience it seemed that the kids that have had anatomy, or physio, histology, or microbio in college really only touched the surface whereas now its full detail. Anyway you're not at a disadvantage, besides when you ace a test you're going to be able to say no no i never took anatomy in college, but i just kicked the **** out of that test.

11. IndianaAsh

IndianaAsh 2+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Indiana
    I was a chemistry major and I think that it helps you stand out a bit from the crowd of bio majors. I didn't do great in any of my chemistry classes, but I found it more interesting than biology too. Being a chemistry major helped me get into some great undergrad research also. The only upper level bio classes I took were animal phys. and conservation biology. I also took anatomy and a year of intro bio classes and a semester of biochem. I only got an 18 on this section of the DAT, but I did much better on the chemistry parts and kinda made up for that. I think the classes you're taking will adequately prepare you for the DAT.

12. john9192

john9192 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Thanks for all your input, guys.
    I was really nervous b/c most of the subjects in d-school would be somewhat bio related, and that I would be in disadvantage in getting acceptance.
    But I'll try to fit in some upper level bio classes and ace the DAT.

Thanks again guys.

13. Fuji

Fuji 2+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Go with engineering. The admissions committees love it.

14. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    West of MLK
    count me in....however, i don't think schools really give any edge to the rigor of a chem (or in my case, biochem) curriculum. Hence, I haven't been accepted yet :rolleyes:

bottom line--study whatever you want & earn high marks. DO WELL in your BIO courses. i cannot emphasize this enough. i think what's holding me back is that my bio GPA is hovering just above a 3.0 while the rest of my science gpa (math, chem, & physics) is above a 3.7...

jb!:)

15. pmantz

pmantz Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I am writing my senior thesis for chemistry and the theme is "carear related" so am writing mine on advances in dental composites, such as nanofillers and inorganic-organic hybrids. I would say about half of all the papers I have received have more do do with (micro)engineering( such as wearing/testing wear) then chemistry.