Chemistry Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arlyo8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to use Organic Chemistry I and II as prereq classes on PTCAS? I took them as separate classes (that is, Organic Chemistry I lecture and lab were separate, and same goes for Organic Chemistry II). Would I just mark both Organic Chemistry I lecture/lab classes as fulfilling the Chemistry I requirement? Same for Organic Chemistry II lecture/lab for Chemistry II?

I ask because 1.) Of all the chemistry classes I have taken, I got the best grades in these classes 2.) Although I have also taken a general chemistry class, it was one 4 credit class. There wasn't a part II (although I later took a second inorganic chemistry class, but my point is that it wasn't a sequence).

thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I had this dilemma as well. Unfortunately ptcas says to put the general class as your pre req so I did so. Schools do recalculate your GPa on their own

it's just a little confusing when I look at the PTCAS pages for specific schools. For example, the University of Washington (http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=236&navid=10737426783) says it will accept any chemistry course, while Western University of Health Sciences (www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=288&navid=10737426783) will only take inorganic chemistry.

lovepixie, did your school offer a general chemistry I and II sequence? for me, there was a general chemistry course offered, and then a separate inorganic course (not part of the same sequence) that you could later take.