Chemistry Prereqs

Started by arlyo8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arlyo8

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it okay to use Organic Chemistry I and II as prereq classes on PTCAS? I took them as separate classes (that is, Organic Chemistry I lecture and lab were separate, and same goes for Organic Chemistry II). Would I just mark both Organic Chemistry I lecture/lab classes as fulfilling the Chemistry I requirement? Same for Organic Chemistry II lecture/lab for Chemistry II?

I ask because 1.) Of all the chemistry classes I have taken, I got the best grades in these classes 2.) Although I have also taken a general chemistry class, it was one 4 credit class. There wasn't a part II (although I later took a second inorganic chemistry class, but my point is that it wasn't a sequence).

thanks for the help!
 
I had this dilemma as well. Unfortunately ptcas says to put the general class as your pre req so I did so. Schools do recalculate your GPa on their own
 
it's just a little confusing when I look at the PTCAS pages for specific schools. For example, the University of Washington (http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=236&navid=10737426783) says it will accept any chemistry course, while Western University of Health Sciences (www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=288&navid=10737426783) will only take inorganic chemistry.

lovepixie, did your school offer a general chemistry I and II sequence? for me, there was a general chemistry course offered, and then a separate inorganic course (not part of the same sequence) that you could later take.