Chemistry question <--- try to answer it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gotquestions

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I have A(g) + B(g) + C(g) --> D(g) + E(g)

and I increase the volume, which direction will it go?
Note: This is a Le Chatelier question.

If I increase the pressure, which direction will that go?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Increase the volume of container it will go to the left or create more of the reactants

Increase the pressure it will go to the side with less moles of molecules which would be to the right
 
If I have A(g) + B(g) + C(g) --> D(g) + E(g)

and I increase the volume, which direction will it go?
Note: This is a Le Chatelier question.

If I increase the pressure, which direction will that go?

This question is not phrased in the right way. You must specify the substance whose volume is being increased.

Also, if pressure inceases, it would move to the right because it has a lower number of moles of gas
 
Increase the volume of container it will go to the left or create more of the reactants

Increase the pressure it will go to the side with less moles of molecules which would be to the right

^This

did this guy just trick you into doing his chem homework?

Nah, with summer starting, I think people are bored and willing to do some work (except the people still in classes, such as the OP).
 
The way I look at it is....if you were to put gas molecules A, B, C into a container and compress the container the reaction would go at a faster rate because there would be less space for the molecules to roam freely. As a result you have these molecules clashing into each other leaving less reactants and more products.

If you were to put these molecules into a container and expand the container the molecules would have more room to roam around freely. As a result they run into each other less often which means there will be more reactants than products.

So nas is right, just use this reasoning if you want logic behind your answer.
 
If I have A(g) + B(g) + C(g) --> D(g) + E(g)

and I increase the volume, which direction will it go?
Note: This is a Le Chatelier question.

If I increase the pressure, which direction will that go?

When does a pharmacist use this?

(increase the volume and it will go toward reactants; increase the pressure and it will go toward products, assuming the reaction is more or less reversible)
 
This question is not phrased in the right way. You must specify the substance whose volume is being increased.

An increase in volume typically means an increase in the volume of the container, not which substance's volume increases or decreases.
 
When volume is increased then the pressure will decrease and it will shift to the side with the most amount of gas molecules. If pressure is increased then it will shift to the side with the least amount of molecules.
 
Last edited: