Chemistry question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpea2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. A .6M solution is made by dissolving compound X in water. After 10 secs the concentration of X is .4M. All of the following can account for this EXCEPT:

A Precipitation
B Neutralization
C Evaporation
D Decomposition
E Disproportionation

The answer is A, but i cant seem to reason it out..maybe b/c with ppt molarity??

2. And heres just an orgo question: Im under the impression that allylic carbocation is most stable followed by a tert. carbocation. Also, would three phenyl groups on a tert carbocation be more stable than 3 methyl groups..am i correct? Can someone please go through the whole stability thing b/w say phenyl vs methyl and allylic carbocation. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is A, b/c if it precipitated out of solution it would decrease the molarity. I was thinking that evaporation would be the answer b/c if water evaporates it would cause the Molarity to increase.

For stability the first thing you look at is Benzyllic>Allylic>Normal>Vinylic. (acronym = BANV). So a primary benzyllic carbocation is more stable than a secondary, or whatever, allylic carbocation. If both carbocations are the same type then tertiary>secondary>primary. Also a carbocation with three phenyl groups is much more stable than one with methyls because the benzenes allow the positive charge to resonate.

Yea the answer key says A, but this is the OAT exam that i found like 3 other mistakes. So i can never be sure..what you say actually makes sense..i dont know, its pretty sad that all these study guides/Actual exams have mistakes

Are you sure it is A, b/c if it precipitated out of solution it would decrease the molarity. I was thinking that evaporation would be the answer b/c if water evaporates it would cause the Molarity to increase.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the question. I am pretty sure that the only choice that would not decrease the Molarity is evaporation which would increase the molarity. So I agree, I think that the answer should be C (evaporation).