Chemistry questions

Started by tiffany88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiffany88

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I was just taking some practice Cliff's tests and I came across several spectroscopy questions which I believe is Organic Chemistry 2. Will this topic not be covered on the PCAT?

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the concept of normality. Can somebody please explain it to me with an example, preferably with a solution that is not .1M?

Thanks in advance.
 
Hey guys, I was just taking some practice Cliff's tests and I came across several spectroscopy questions which I believe is Organic Chemistry 2. Will this topic not be covered on the PCAT?

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the concept of normality. Can somebody please explain it to me with an example, preferably with a solution that is not .1M?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff's chemistry tends to be harder than what is really on the PCAT. There could definitely be some spectroscopy but I seriously doubt they would use something like NMR and give you a specific value and say "what is found at these values". Instead they would say something that showed that protons closer to more electronegative atoms will be dragged further downfield than ones next to carbon. Or if it was about FTIR then they may show a specific peak on a spectra and ask what functional group it represents. More than likely it will be an easy one such as an -OH peak.

Not sure what you mean by normality? What context are you referring to?
 
Hey guys, I was just taking some practice Cliff's tests and I came across several spectroscopy questions which I believe is Organic Chemistry 2. Will this topic not be covered on the PCAT?

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the concept of normality. Can somebody please explain it to me with an example, preferably with a solution that is not .1M?

Thanks in advance.

Normality is just the number of equivalents per liter. Say I had 74.093g of calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 in one liter of solution.

The molarity is equal to 1M with respect to the whole compound. With respect to the OH-, it is 2N because there will be 2*avogadro's number OH- ions in one liter of solution.

Same thing with a solution that is 1M with respect to H2SO4. With respect to H+, it would be 2N.