Chemistry requirements?

Started by JRL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JRL

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know they want to see alot of Chemistry in any school of Pharmacy.

But, can I get away with taking a "Introductory Chemistry" class before taking General Chem?
Would they except these units?
Do I have to start with General College Chem?

Just Curious....
 
Also, I am wondering about online classes.

I am taking an online Math Class, do these Graduate schools except stuff like this?
 
Hows about Pre-Calculus ? Can I take this class?
god damn, so many questions, I can't ask them all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JRL said:
I know they want to see alot of Chemistry in any school of Pharmacy.

But, can I get away with taking a "Introductory Chemistry" class before taking General Chem?
Would they except these units?
Do I have to start with General College Chem?

Just Curious....

I had a talk with a pharmacy student about an issue similar to this,

summery: pharmacy school would like to see you to take upper division classes and do well.
I think if you want to impress them,you can take upper division Chemistry classes such as : Physical Chemistry, Physical biochemistry, Pharmacology, synthetic Org. chemistry, analytical chemistry,...

these classes are tough, So I wouldn't recommend them UNLESS you know you'll do well!
If you take introductory chemistry to prepare you for G-Chem then take it, I don't think they'll care. If not, take G-chem. they won't accept Intr. Chem as pre-reqs, and I'm pretty sure they won't be impressed with it.
 
JRL said:
I know they want to see alot of Chemistry in any school of Pharmacy.

But, can I get away with taking a "Introductory Chemistry" class before taking General Chem?
Would they except these units?
Do I have to start with General College Chem?

Just Curious....

Start with Gen Chem and study hard. All Pharm schools want Gen Chem. Make sure you choose a good prof. for the series so you can actually learn the material and get good grades.

~Aquasonic
 
JRL said:
Hows about Pre-Calculus ? Can I take this class?
god damn, so many questions, I can't ask them all.

If on the transcript doesn't indicate the class is an online course, then you will be ok. I took my Statistics online too.

~Aquasonic
 
I took two semesters of intro chemistry - the so-called GOB (General/Organic/Bio) since I had been out of school for a very long time and never took chemistry in high school. It helped me in General and Organic. And schools don't seem to care since I got in for Class of 2010.

I also took both college algebra and trig before I took calculus. I needed the refresher. Both the remedial chemistry and the math classes added more time to my pre-pharm, but enabled me to do well in the pre-req classes. (Well, OK, I got a C in O-chem II, but that was all I needed to keep my seat in school.)

I did both of my social science pre-reqs online. Personally, I wouldn't take a science or math class online since I really need lectures for that kind of thing.

So, I advise that you do what you need to do in order to succeed.
 
I would advise against taking your science classes online - won't your chem classes require labs, too?

I've seen a couple schools were they wouldn't accept online or distance learning classes, especially the core science classes.

But if you're applying just to a specific school and know there isn't that limitation, then go for it. But if you want to keep your doors open to as many schools as possible, don't do online - you may find yourself retaking the course in the classroom.