Chemistry Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mepstein

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took a practice test and bombed the gen chem section. I am taking the kaplan course in the spring. But would it be very helpful to get the ExamKrackers guide to chemistry? Has anyone used it? is it DAT chemistry? Is it necessary?

gracias,
matt

Members don't see this ad.

mepstein said:
I just took a practice test and bombed the gen chem section. I am taking the kaplan course in the spring. But would it be very helpful to get the ExamKrackers guide to chemistry? Has anyone used it? is it DAT chemistry? Is it necessary?

gracias,
matt

I wouldn't worry too much about not doing well on a practice test before you started studying.. Chem isn't one of stick-in-your-mind kind of subjects.

I think i got a 12 on the chem section when I took my kaplan diagnotic exam and 23 on on the real thing. Studied only Kaplan. All the chem info you will need is in the Kaplan book.

I didn't use ExamKrackers but I have heard it is good. I guess the more study sources the merrier but like I said above Kaplan'l do it for g-chem.

Same here, I got 14 on the chemistry section when took Kaplan final and got 20 on the real DAT for both o-chem and gen.chem sections.

mepstein said:

gracias,
matt

The EK books were pretty helpful for studying. The more quality resources you have, the better off you are. In all honesty though...for GC, I think all you need is Kaplan. They do a good job in summarizing everything you need to know. The only thing I really used EK for is to refer to another source in the event that I wasn't clear on concepts or material presented in Kaplan. I scored a 17 on the diagnostic, and a 23 on the real thing in GC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took Kaplan. I bombed the diagnostic and could not score higher than 18 on any of the practice tests. I scored a 20 on the DAT. I would say study Kaplan and also try to by the Cliffs Quick review for chemistry. Read the Quick review about 3 to 4 times and do the Kaplan subject tests and full length exams over and over.

I only used Kaplan Review Notes and their material. I took their online class. If there was something I wasn't sure, I read my chem books, or posted the questions on SDN. I always ran out of time on Kaplan practice tests, but scored well on the real DAT. IMO, Kaplan's chem material is sufficient. Good Luck!