Chemistry Science help!

Started by miceheart
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miceheart

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am reading the ionic bonding chapter which they are talking about the lattice energy.

I am not quite how to exactly to calculate the ionization energy. For example:
1 mol of Li to lose 1 mol of outer electrons:
Li----> Li (+) + e- The book said the IE1 is 520 kJ, However I could not figure how they got this number.

I use the equation of E=-2.18*10(-18) J*Z(2) (1/n(final)square-1/n(initial)square). Z=3 N final=1 N initial =2

Is this is the right equation to use? also this equration is for 1 particle, therefore, for 1 mol I have to times 6.02 *10(23)

Thanks
 
miceheart said:
I am reading the ionic bonding chapter which they are talking about the lattice energy.

I am not quite how to exactly to calculate the ionization energy. For example:
1 mol of Li to lose 1 mol of outer electrons:
Li----> Li (+) + e- The book said the IE1 is 520 kJ, However I could not figure how they got this number.

I use the equation of E=-2.18*10(-18) J*Z(2) (1/n(final)square-1/n(initial)square). Z=3 N final=1 N initial =2

Is this is the right equation to use? also this equration is for 1 particle, therefore, for 1 mol I have to times 6.02 *10(23)

Thanks

5.392*1.60217e^-22*6.02e^23=520kJ (this is a stoichemometry problem)
 
well i think the qualitative aspects with ionization energies/electron affinities are more important to grasp. I remember my prof stressing this fact. ie. why the first ionization energy is alot lower than the second ionization energy...I have never taken the pcat, but i think just keeping your concepts clear is probably the key.