Chemistry Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

africanpharmd14

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone
I need some serious help ; Ive taken the pcat twice and both times i bombed the chemistry and math sections.

for the chemistry- im stumped. I did well in my general and organic chem classes so i really dont know wat the problem is. Maybe im focusing on the wrong sections to review

So can i get some suggestions about what topics i should focus on to ace the chemistry section??

Thank you so much
 
Hey africanpharmd14,

The chemistry and math sections were the hardest for me, too. When I first started studying, I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. What helped me tremendously was using the 3 Pearson practice tests which were very similar to the actual exam I took. I took one test early on, and this helped me identify what types of questions they would be asking and what concepts I needed to review. This was useful because before taking the practice test I was just going through chemistry textbooks and studying everything I saw. This was a waste of time because I often studied concepts that never appeared on the PCAT. After using the Pearson practice tests, I could identify which topics they were most likely to ask about and study those in depth. This strategy got me a 93 for the chemistry section on my July 2014 PCAT, which was great for me because I did horribly in gen chem and organic in college (mostly Cs). Also, I don't know if this is true for future tests, but for my test there were several passage-based questions in the chemistry section. I read that these were experimental and did not count towards my grade, so I skipped them and did them last. I think this helped me out a little because I had more time to focus on the questions that actually mattered. For more specific advice, I would suggest knowing the structures of all the amino acids. Every practice test I took asked at least one question about amino acid structure, so if you know those really well then that's one free point right off the bat. You should also review nomenclature and how to determine which compound has the highest/lowest boiling point by looking at its structure. You should also be very comfortable with converting between moles and grams quickly (it's a good idea to round and use simple numbers to save time) as they ask many questions that require you to do conversions.

Math was my worst section (72), mainly due to the time constraint. When I first started studying the math section, I got between a 10-20% on the Pearson practice test QA section, which horrified me. What helped me improve my score was just going through and doing all the easy ones first. If a question had a block of text I had to read before answering the question, I would just flag it and come back to it later. This gave me more time to work through the simpler problems with just equations. Using this strategy and studying the questions I didn't know how to do helped me improve my score from a potential 10-20% to a 72%, so I was pleased with the outcome. It's frustrating because I know I could have done better with more time, but it is what it is.

Even with my poor QA score, I ended up with a 92 composite score on my preliminary report. Again, I highly recommend the Pearson practice tests. These were the main tools I used for studying and I think they are the reason I did well. I hope this helps; best of luck studying!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Collins chem seems to be extremely helpful. Dr. Collins also provides 14 practice tests for the chem portion with two 40 page review packets for orgo and gen chem and a 10 page review packet for biochemistry. I read through these several times and tried to make everything stick in my head and it seems to work wonders because It's not a very overwhelming amount of information to review. Dr. Collins really does a great job with narrowing down what you need to know. I highly recommend Dr. Collins. I haven't taken the PCAT yet but I have heard that difficulty wise, Dr. Collins (and Pearson practice tests) are about the same level of difficulty and same format of questions you would expect to see on the real deal. Hope this helps!
 
ive heard about dr collins but i dont have tht much money to shell out

i went through d first pearson test yesterday to see wat topics they used.

im going to review the questions i missed nd go from there
 
ive heard about dr collins but i dont have tht much money to shell out

i went through d first pearson test yesterday to see wat topics they used.

im going to review the questions i missed nd go from there
If you don't wanna buy Dr. Collins, just go on pearsons website to see the breakdown of the PCAT section by section and look at the topics covered in the chemistry. So just study each of the topics in depth from the breakdown and that should cover it. This will atleast give you an idea of what to study and what not to study. In my opinion, its always better to be overprepared than underprepared so find any resources you are comfortable with and use them to the fullest. Other than Dr. Collins, I would suggest using cliffnotes and khan academy for chemistry. They both give very good lessons on the topics. Khan is more of a simplified version of what you need to learn while cliffnotes goes a little more in depth. So for topics you are unsure of, start out with Khan then move to cliffnotes after you understand what Khan taught you.
 
if u want watch all khan academy vids for chem. I hear that helps alot

For math I used PatrickJMT youtube series and I scored in the 90's