Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WacKeD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Post: I was wondering since I Am taking the Pcats on the 21st how detailed the chem section is. Like for organic chemistry are there alot of reaction questions where u predict the product and if so are they from Orgo 1 or Orgo 2 or just basic ones. Just need an idea since the Kaplan book doesn't have any predict the product questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have a chemistry related question...

How detailed is the general chemistry section? are there a lot of problems on stoicheometry and gas laws, molarity, molality..

The Kaplan book gives some impossible questions, so I'm wondering hwo close is it to the actual PCAT.

iicandream said:
I also have a chemistry related question...

How detailed is the general chemistry section? are there a lot of problems on stoicheometry and gas laws, molarity, molality..

The Kaplan book gives some impossible questions, so I'm wondering hwo close is it to the actual PCAT.
The Chem section is pretty straightforward. There is a lot of nomenclature, and there is some predicting of reactions. There was a lot more Organic stuff on there than I expected. The Kaplan stuff that I reviewed (like their practice tests) were nothing like the actual test. There were hardly any calculations, and nothing that you would really need the periodic table for. Also, there's a lot of conceptual questions.

Does anyone know how detailed would the test ask for on chemical kinetics and equilibrium? I"m going thru some problems and some of them involve more calculations than I thought. Do i need to know the equations for first order rxn and second order rxns, which involve the natural log? What about the Arrhenius equation?

Members don't see this ad :)
As I said previously, there are almost NO CALCULATIONS. Most of the questions are either conceptual (ie. "An acid: a. turns red litmus paper blue b. is a proton donator c. has a pH above 7 ") or something to do with organic chem. Know your nomenclature and predicting rxns.