1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chemistry...!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by FtrDDSFranny, May 10, 2007.

1. FtrDDSFranny

Pre-Dental
    Hey all,
    So I'm starting all my prereq's for dental school and am now taking Chem (1st semester). Everyone always talked about how hard it was, but I was going into it firm.

However we just got our first test back and the average was a 57. (I sucked hardcore and got a 44). Oh well. It was the first test and we get to drop our lowest score (meaning that one, for me).

Can anybody else share their woes of chemistry with me? Or maybe give me some hints on how to kick serious butt? One way or another I will do it, it's just a matter of getting there.

Good luck everyone!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. laundry

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Alright...I don't see how basic inorganic chemistry is hard. But that's totally individual. Have you had any chem in high school?
    Here are some basic methods of improving your grade:
    -look at the test and see what you missed, then review the material. Did you know the material or was is the way the question was formed.
    -talk to your professor, he/she will guide you best since he/she is one writting the test.
    -finally, study. It should be pretty obvious to yourself if you know the material or not.

Cheers...

4. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    study every lecture everyday instead of studying 4 hours ebfore the test. Also do last minute cramming the DAY OF the test. You'd be surprised how well that helps.

5. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't mean to boast when I say this but I am in the same exact boat as you.... Just last January I started my pre-reqs (post bacc) and Took only General I along with its lab (full time job + 50 hrs per week = unable to take more)

Anyways, Our first test, the class average was about 61% (either that or 63% don't fully remember)... I got a 97%
    2nd test, class average was about 51% (I belive)... I got a 90%
    3rd test, class average was 39% (lolz)... I got a 71% (I sucked a$$ because I went in too confident...my mistake and will never repeat it again)
    Final exam, class average was 65%... I got a 86%

Total for the class, I got a 4.0 and the class average, I believe was 2.4

Anyways, to make story short, what used to work for me was the following:
    1) I used to ALWAYS read the lectures ahead of class and work out all the problems for the specified reading (you know how most test books workout examples as they explain stuff to you... well don't just read the examples, DO THEM then check the answer).... You do this BEFORE you go into your lecture so when the professor starts yapping away, you underestand him/her 100%... which helps you write much better notes.
    2) RE-WRITE NOTES RIGHT AFTER THE LECTURE..... this is the biggest advantage because our human brain, for some reason, works alot better when you re-write material
    3) NEVER cram for exams, esspecially for classes like chemistry, there is sooooo much consepts to learn that you simply can't cram.... I always started the review process for an exam about 1 week before the exam... REALLY helped

wish you best of luck

6. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Do you want the secret forumula for doing well in all your prereq courses, including chemistry? I am going to give it to you right now, but keep it a secret because most people on SDN do not realize it. You can thank me when you're a dentist. Here it is:

(drum roll)

Surf less, study more.

7. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For the land-locked moron who just private messaged me (by the way, :laugh: )

Surfing = surfing on the internet, browsing the information superhighway, using the computer, etc.

You can substitute "using the compter" with another time wasting activity, but I am convinced that college students would have awesome grades if they simply turned off their laptop, stopped worrying about facebook, stopped text messaging people every 10 seconds that they would have a 4.0 and wouldn't need to post threads on the internet freaking out about their gpa screwups.

8. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think facebook is the main college weeder.. if you can pass facebook you can pass college

9. wackiezackie82

wackiezackie82 My Idol
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Do all the practice problems and examples in your text book then get a book with extra practice problems or ask your prof for extra practice problems. Also, try studying with a few other people in your class.

Everyone's got their strengths and their weaknesses though so if you can't work it out on your own, try meeting with your prof.

I hope that helps you out!