chemistty density question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INOHELP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a solute is added with a certain density to a solution of a different density and it gets completely dissolved, is the new solution density a random number or a sum of the 2 densities or what??

Members don't see this ad.

I think since density is an intensive property, you cant really sum up the densities,
although i would like a better explanation too

Nvm I think I figured it out... It was confusig me to frustration but because the solvent completely dissolves, if the solute is more dense, It will increase the grams per volume. If lower density, it will lower the gram per volume.

I couldn't solve a problem in my br book for an hour..

Nvm I think I figured it out... It was confusig me to frustration but because the solvent completely dissolves, if the solute is more dense, It will increase the grams per volume. If lower density, it will lower the gram per volume.

I couldn't solve a problem in my br book for an hour..

Are you saying that it is a sum of the individual densities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so. The new density should be somewhere between the two density values. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but I'm trying to come up with a counter-example. This sounds like a rather pathological discussion and I don't really see any immediate application. The density of a solid or liquid is defined as its mass per unit volume - adding densities directly doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, an observation I should make which probably IS relevant, is that some of these quantities change with things like temperature, particularly density. This is why molarity is not a constant - the volume of a liquid depends upon its density. Something to keep in mind.