Chemsitry not allowed over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm having a bit of a crisis with my schedule for the next couple of years.

I'm a sophomore, and I just decided to go pre-dental. I'm registered to take Biology this year, and then take Chemistry over the summer. That way I can take Orgo my junior year and Physics my senior year with a couple upper level bio classes sprinkled in my last two years. (I have all gen-ed requirements done.)

Anyways, I've been emailing a couple professors at my school, and one professor said specifically, "Remember you cannot take summer chem courses for professional schools."

Is this true? Why wouldn't I be able to take Chem over the summer? Do dental schools look down on this?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do whatever you want. Your professors dont know what they are talking about. But just to be safe dont take it in CC bc not all schools accept it

It's possible that some summer courses at your school don't have labs. A lot of dental schools require the classes with labs. That could be what he's talking about. Just make sure you meet the prereqs and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways, I've been emailing a couple professors at my school, and one professor said specifically, "Remember you cannot take summer chem courses for professional schools."

I've heard that for CANADIAN dental/medical schools they don't take into account your GPA for summer term classes. In America, it doesn't matter when you take the classes. (I wish they took out my spring term GPA though because I completely bombed my spring term classes due to how fast everything goes during them. Oh, and I was getting married a week after finals)

I hope they don't consider when you take them too much. I've taken both my bio and ochem 1 so far in the summer... although I'm taking ochem 2 this semester, and biochem/physiology next semester.

Well, I called a couple dental schools (MCG and UPenn, to be exact), and both of them said that they didn't care when you take the classes as long as it's at an accredited 4-year university. They expect the summer courses to be the same as regular semester courses. I asked if it would be looked down on, and they said it wouldn't. So I gathered that taking a couple pre-req classes over the summer shouldn't matter.