Chicago area programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone rate the Chicago progs. based on reputation and match competitiveness. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

one thing i can tell you for sure....the place with the happiest residents and the best teaching faculty is UIC..if you are after the big name only look elsewhere

Top 3 on reputation/perceived competitiveness are going to be in some order:
UChicago, Northwestern, Rush. I didn't interview at any of these so I won't comment further.

Loyola probably comes next, some may count it with the above. Great facilities, awesome gym. Very nice place to be. Strong group of residents.

UIC I thought was great. As apma said, very happy residents. Nice location (they're all in about the same place minus Loyola which is a few miles down the road and not accessible by the L). The faculty also impressed me, very nice and down to earth. Not as pretty as Loyola, but I ranked this one really high. In fact I almost put it number 1. I would have been very happy there.

Illinois Masonic- Doesn't take too many through the match making those 3 spots in the match harder to get. Location can't be beat (Lincoln Park area I believe) and they offer housing at ridiculously low prices. Nice facilities. Obviously the name isn't there, but the PD is a big name in the gas world. Would be a nice place to train.

Cook County. Didn't offer me an interview. I really don't know where to put this one. Pre-match I thought it was less competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd put U of C and Northwestern as the top two, with the actual order depending on what you want to do. U of C has a better academic reputation but I think Northwestern has better private sector placement.

Rush also has good placement, but I think the name recognition tapers off as you move away from Chicago. Loyola seems pretty strong but I didn't get that good of a feel when I interviewed there.

Coming from UIC, I'm obviously biased. I think the residents are definitely happy and I like the faculty but it doesn't have the name recognition that other places have. There is also a slight tendency for a percentage of the program to be "inbred" resident-wise, which can be both a plus and a minus.

Didn't interview at either Masonic or County, so I can't really comment on either one.

Rush is money, kid............MONEY. I graduated from there and wrote my own ticket. I now earn sick, sick cash!

Peace out,

The One

you can find good paying job coming out of any program these days..not just rush.
overall market for anesthesia is great

my advice to anyone is goto a program where you will be happy at and not worry as to how competitive it is or name recognition. mgh for example...great name..miserable residents

Northwestern(more private) and U of C(more academic) are probably the most well known.
I interviewed at Loyola, U of C and Rush. I enjoyed my day at Loyola and U of C, but felt that Rush was a little overworked. If you're thinking of staying in Chicago, it may end up coming down to location.

2005-2008: NYU, anesthesia

Both Rush and Northwestern work you hard, very hard compared to the other programs, but the reputation will carry you far (that's what they still feed me!). As far as UofC, the academic reputation is there and the residents tend to be a little bit happier, regardless I think that all of the chicago programs could place you anywhere you want to go in the end. good luck with your choices! I could tell me more about NW if you want to PM me.

Thanks for the link Vent.