Chicago area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etomidator3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are there so many Chicago jobs advertised recently?

Members don't see this ad.

It might have to do with the piss-poor training options in Chicago. Although I'm a medical student I think I have some insight into this issue.

I come from a top 3 medical school (west coast) but was looking to settle in Chicago for personal reasons. I did an away at the University of Chicago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I wrote a post on it before, you can search. I was also looking at Northwestern and my home PD flat out told me to stay away. A disgruntled resident even recently flamed the program, it was pretty revealing thread.

From what I can gather, residents are encountering sh1tty training and malignant attitudes at the Chicago training programs and are looking for jobs elsewhere. Salaries are also going down the tubes. I personally know a resident whose co-resident just got a job at a local private hospital with a starting salary of $220,000.

Milwaukee is also just a stone's throw away from Chicago and starting salaries there are upwards of $400,000 in addition to first-class training. I ended up ranking MCW #1. It was amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might have to do with the piss-poor training options in Chicago. Although I'm a medical student I think I have some insight into this issue.

I come from a top 3 medical school (west coast) but was looking to settle in Chicago for personal reasons. I did an away at the University of Chicago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I wrote a post on it before, you can search. I was also looking at Northwestern and my home PD flat out told me to stay away. A disgruntled resident even recently flamed the program, it was pretty revealing thread.

From what I can gather, residents are encountering sh1tty training and malignant attitudes at the Chicago training programs and are looking for jobs elsewhere. Salaries are also going down the tubes. I personally know a resident whose co-resident just got a job at a local private hospital with a starting salary of $220,000.

Milwaukee is also just a stone's throw away from Chicago and starting salaries there are upwards of $400,000 in addition to first-class training. I ended up ranking MCW #1. It was amazing.
Wow, that's a drastic difference between the two. I guess there really is a premium to wanting to live in Chicago.

Weird. I'm in the south, and my PD also flamed Chicago (i.e., "go anywhere but Chicago"). My PD, your post, and the disgruntled Chicago resident... can't be coincidence, IMO.

You are horribly mistaken. Training here is top notch. Northwestern program is good but u work same for rush, Loyola, UIC and advocate ( Illinois Masonic ) I can't comment on county and u of c cuz I haven't had interaction w those residents/ grads. Laurie children's is an amazing hospital. Reason there are a bunch of jobs is that the state takes 2 yrs for a new license. Granted since it still is a competitive market in a nice city salaries are a bit lower average is closer to 250-300 k for academics, private is all over the place ... Scene as low as 225 and as high as 600k

AMCs have moved into Chicago so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Also I imagine a lot of the better PP gigs in the Chicagoland area may be the type with very long "partnership" tracks and several greedy superpowers.

Lastly jobs in the Chicagoland area aren't necessarily anywhere near Chicago, ie Harvey etc.

Wisconsin in general is a great anesthesia job market within the midwest if not the nation, IMHO.

bump... I'd like opinions on the anesthesia programs at Advocate Illinois Masonic & Rush. Thanks in advance.

I had a weak attending from Masonic. Doesn't mean much though since its n = 1
I'm sure Rush is solid, but the consensus is workhorse program. Probably come out well-trained if you're not too scared to work hard.

Reactions: 1 user
AMCs have moved into Chicago so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Also I imagine a lot of the better PP gigs in the Chicagoland area may be the type with very long "partnership" tracks and several greedy superpowers.

Lastly jobs in the Chicagoland area aren't necessarily anywhere near Chicago, ie Harvey etc.

AMC are taking over some contracts, ie MacNeal, West Suburban, etc, and they have a sudden need to fill a large number of positions. Also, a lot of the suburban practices are seeing anesthesiologists retire. That's led to more openings as well.