Mar 28, 2010
Status
how is the gas market in Chicago? my wife just got a new job out there and i'm looking to move there after residency.

Last edited:

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
it's not as good as colorado, texas, arizona, etc etc, but it's better than nyc and cali.

chicago is an amazing place to live. it's a big city with a lot to offer and it's much more affordable than living on either coast.

there are still some decent jobs out around here, you just have to look. definitely less money in the city than out in some of the burbs. some of the academic center attending gigs are great , if you can get them. a lot of gas guys go across the border into northwest indiana or wisconsin - both roughly a 35-45 minute drive from the city, and better compensation. half of the docs i know in indiana live in chicago. chicago is great bc even though you'll take a paycut , your money will go a long way here compared to a lot of other big cities.

good luck in ur job search!

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
chicago is an amazing place to live. it's a big city with a lot to offer and it's much more affordable than living on either coast.
Not really. Chicago is way more expensive than the Gulf Coast. :rolleyes:

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I hear liability is horrendous there. Many physicians choose to work in Indiana for this.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Not really. Chicago is way more expensive than the Gulf Coast. :rolleyes:

um. yeah. when i said 'either coast' i was referring to east vs. west coast.

i think its pretty common knowledge that the south/gulf coast is dirt cheap.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I hear liability is horrendous there. Many physicians choose to work in Indiana for this.
it's pretty bad. malpractice is horrible.

with that aside, most attendings and private practice docs are happy. yes, a lot of them cross the border to wisconsin / indiana to avoid liability, pay less malpractice, and all that jazz. there are a decent amount of further reaching suburbs/towns 1-2 hours or so out from the city that are better for practicing ( aurora, mchenry, rockford, etc. )

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
Consider that there are 7 graduating programs a year and that few will want to work in far western or southern Illinois, you'll face tough competition for very few jobs in the city. Essentially the amount of work in the city will not change. Very few practicing docs will retire or die (in recent years many had to postpone retirement due to losses in the crash). The plum jobs are actually in the suburbs- Naperville's top job right now. Groups which offer partnership have an average time to partner of 3yrs: 50% buy-in 1st yr, 25% 2nd, full 3rd then partner (maybe). Watch for the mills which eat your pay for 2-3 yrs then cut you loose prior to partner; Remember there's 7 graduating classes of eager recruits each year who just have to stay in Chicago due to lifestyle or spousal demands. Many groups in the city don't even offer partnership anymore and only salary- you'll be working to pay the old partners. In the past two years even many academic jobs dried up due to the economic downturn. Most of the private groups were not hiring unless fellowship trained- pediatric colleagues had the most luck, even cardiac was not providing as much of an advantage.

Having lived and trained in Chicago, the cost of living is too high for me, compensation too low, partnership track too long, malpractice too costly, traffic too time wasting to compensate for the benefits of culture, recreation and food in Chicago. Additionally, if you're living in the burbs at least an hour away for the plum jobs, you're not gonna spend the majority of your time enjoying the benefits of downtown Chitown anyways. Working in WI or IA and living in Chicago? Wasting 2hrs of my life in traffic each day? My current commute to all my various workplaces is 5-15 minutes (shortest to longest commute) now, even in the heaviest traffic. That equals more life lived for me.

Last edited:

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
Forgot to add that avg vacation time in these groups is 4wks- that is paltry. Do as many advise in this forum:

1) Work in BF Egypt with low cost of living (I undertand you may be constrained by your spouse's job)
2) Take the job with short partnership track
3) Save your FU money
4) Take the job with most vacation for highest level of compensation.
5) Then move to your dream location after #3 is realized if #1-4 still aren't satisfactory to stay in your current location.

Sorry to editorialize since you only asked about the Chicago job market, but I thought I'd expound on the why Chicago market sucks and you options.

Update: Sorry, I may have gotten my buyins mixed up; I think it's 50-35-15 for first three years or sometimes it's low salary x 3yrs (w/ 20-30k bump for board certification) then maybe partner.

Last edited:

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Consider that there are 7 graduating programs a year and that few will want to work in far western or southern Illinois, you'll face tough competition for very few jobs in the city. Essentially the amount of work in the city will not change. Very few practicing docs will retire or die (in recent years many had to postpone retirement due to losses in the crash). The plum jobs are actually in the suburbs- Naperville's top job right now. Groups which offer partnership have an average time to partner of 3yrs: 50% buy-in 1st yr, 25% 2nd, full 3rd then partner (maybe). Watch for the mills which eat your pay for 2-3 yrs then cut you loose prior to partner; Remember there's 7 graduating classes of eager recruits each year who just have to stay in Chicago due to lifestyle or spousal demands. Many groups in the city don't even offer partnership anymore and only salary- you'll be working to pay the old partners. In the past two years even many academic jobs dried up due to the economic downturn. Most of the private groups were not hiring unless fellowship trained- pediatric colleagues had the most luck, even cardiac was not providing as much of an advantage.

Having lived and trained in Chicago, the cost of living is too high for me, compensation too low, partnership track too long, malpractice too costly, traffic too time wasting to compensate for the benefits of culture, recreation and food in Chicago. Additionally, if you're living in the burbs at least an hour away for the plum jobs, you're not gonna spend the majority of your time enjoying the benefits of downtown Chitown anyways. Working in WI or IA and living in Chicago? Wasting 2hrs of my life in traffic each day? My current commute to all my various workplaces is 5-15 minutes (shortest to longest commute) now, even in the heaviest traffic. That equals more life lived for me.
you're absolutely spot on about the partner mills and 4 weeks vacation, competition, all that. suburbs definitely have better gigs than the city does. where my family lives in indiana we are about ~ 30 miles from downtown chicago, just across the border, and compensation/vacation is very good. (closer to 8 weeks. not great, but not 4 either. )
but then again, not everyone is up for a 45 minute commute every day, and it gets sticky on call days. plus, indiana kinda sucks big time.

i'm born and bred from around chicago ,and though i love this city, some of the offers from the bufu towns out in cali, florida, and texas are just too tempting to look away. hopefully they are still there in 6+ years . :-/

Consigliere

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2008
Neither here nor there
Status
Attending Physician
you're absolutely spot on about the partner mills and 4 weeks vacation, competition, all that. suburbs definitely have better gigs than the city does. where my family lives in indiana we are about ~ 30 miles from downtown chicago, just across the border, and compensation/vacation is very good. (closer to 8 weeks. not great, but not 4 either. )
but then again, not everyone is up for a 45 minute commute every day, and it gets sticky on call days. plus, indiana kinda sucks big time.

i'm born and bred from around chicago ,and though i love this city, some of the offers from the bufu towns out in cali, florida, and texas are just too tempting to look away. hopefully they are still there in 6+ years . :-/
They won't be....prepare accordingly.