Chief resident position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ventric_standstill

Reaction score
Hi all,
I went unmatched cards this year and I am literally devastated and fighting depression at this point. I don't know what to do. I figured a chief resident year would be a fair option. I am unsure where to start looking for those positions though? I found 3 that are at hospitals without a cardiology fellowship which I think would not benefit me that well. I am literally running out of ideas and would appreciate any input on what to do and how to go about things.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your PD. There are multiple chief positions being listed / discussed. Also some heart failure fellowships - unaccredited but gets you research and letters.

Reactions: 1 users
I kind of agree about being chief at a program without fellowships or fellowship you want, just watched that play out with a aquaintance who did a chief year for fellowship. He got less interviews the second time and still didn't match. Was depressing to watch.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I went unmatched cards this year and I am literally devastated and fighting depression at this point. I don't know what to do. I figured a chief resident year would be a fair option. I am unsure where to start looking for those positions though? I found 3 that are at hospitals without a cardiology fellowship which I think would not benefit me that well. I am literally running out of ideas and would appreciate any input on what to do and how to go about things.
Sorry to hear this. I also had an unsuccessful match a few years ago but stumbled in to a chief position at my own institution which helped me eventually match.

If chief year is not an option, I'd also look in to cardiology hospitalist jobs at places like UIowa and Oschner. It'll probably be a year babysitting cardiology patients for things like ACS r/o, CHF exacerbations, etc. but it will help you make good connections with cards faculty at that institution and probably give you time to do research.

Reactions: 1 user
Why Do you think you didn’t match ?

If you had multiple interviews and didn’t match then maybe your focus needs to be interviewing and connections. In which case a chief year at a place without fellowship is ok. Even if you are a chief resident at a place with fellowship, you may not cross paths with the cardiologist. And honestly it takes 6 months to get to know somebody and unfortunately most programs rank in November. In fact there is a possibility that people in that institution would not have had enough exposure to even write a lor for you.

If you didn’t match because you had very few interviews then you shd concentrate on things that will give you research and more exposure to cardiology. Che k out fellowships in HF, vascular , lipid , preventive cardiology, cardiac imaging etc that will get you closer to cardiologists.

Do hospitalist at an academic institution for their cards patients.