Chief resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehab_dr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey forum
Im interested in getting others' ideas on what it takes to become chief resident. I would like to do pain and feel that a chief title would help in that department. what's the best way to do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey forum
Im interested in getting others' ideas on what it takes to become chief resident. I would like to be in pain and feel that a chief title would help in that department. what's the best way to do that?

Fixed that for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness I don't think that's a good reason to want to be chief. Fact: the majority of pain fellows were not chief. The best chiefs want to be chief because they want to be chief not because they view being chief as a resume padder. Otherwise, the headache and extra work hours are not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
In all seriousness I don't think that's a good reason to want to be chief. Fact: the majority of pain fellows were not chief. The best chiefs want to be chief because they want to be chief not because they view being chief as a resume padder. Otherwise, the headache and extra work hours are not worth it.

While the majority of pain fellows may not be chiefs, it helps, and many (not all) of the PMR pain fellows I know have been chief. So I'm sure it helps. I agree it's probably a little aggravating as you have to hear the complaints from all your fellow residents but it also helps in other ways in my opinion. So with that said, what does it take to be a chief? It seems very random, and I've seen some great people get passed up for chief and some people that are awful get picked for chiefs. So I"m left a little confused.

While the majority of pain fellows may not be chiefs, it helps, and many (not all) of the PMR pain fellows I know have been chief. So I'm sure it helps. I agree it's probably a little aggravating as you have to hear the complaints from all your fellow residents but it also helps in other ways in my opinion. So with that said, what does it take to be a chief? It seems very random, and I've seen some great people get passed up for chief and some people that are awful get picked for chiefs. So I"m left a little confused.

People selected to be chief tend to strong residents who are respected by staff and other residents. Strong residents also tend to be more competitive for fellowship. That's the correlate much more than all pain fellows having once been able to game their way to chief. Again...you're doing it for the wrong reasons...and it may not even help in your pursuit to fellowship.

Agree with what j4pac mentioned above. The association between "chief" and "competitiveness for fellowship" is mostly correlative and not causative. If your goal is to get a pain fellowship, you should not necessarily be gunning to be chief. Believe me, there are better things you can be doing with your time than fretting about being chief and actually being a chief. Think of being chief as a hobby, not a chore towards fellowship. If you find yourself a generally responsible person, hard worker, legitimately respected by your peers and superiors, have a thick skin, don't mind hearing the complaints of peers and superiors, and being very political, then you're probably cut out to be a good chief. And some people legitimately enjoy this.

But if you don't think you would be good at this, don't sweat it you can still land very competitive fellowships. In the end, yes being chief may help in fellowship competitiveness in so far as a program director may see chief resident and think "probably a good, responsible, hard working, and well respected guy/gal." But if your recommendation letters and your interview don't reflect this, it doesn't matter if you were chief or not, you won't be ranked highly. On the other hand, if you're not a chief and your recommendation letters and your interview reflect you as a "good, responsible, hard working, and well respected guy/gal" then you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with what j4pac mentioned above. The association between "chief" and "competitiveness for fellowship" is mostly correlative and not causative. If your goal is to get a pain fellowship, you should not necessarily be gunning to be chief. Believe me, there are better things you can be doing with your time than fretting about being chief and actually being a chief. Think of being chief as a hobby, not a chore towards fellowship. If you find yourself a generally responsible person, hard worker, legitimately respected by your peers and superiors, have a thick skin, don't mind hearing the complaints of peers and superiors, and being very political, then you're probably cut out to be a good chief. And some people legitimately enjoy this.

But if you don't think you would be good at this, don't sweat it you can still land very competitive fellowships. In the end, yes being chief may help in fellowship competitiveness in so far as a program director may see chief resident and think "probably a good, responsible, hard working, and well respected guy/gal." But if your recommendation letters and your interview don't reflect this, it doesn't matter if you were chief or not, you won't be ranked highly. On the other hand, if you're not a chief and your recommendation letters and your interview reflect you as a "good, responsible, hard working, and well respected guy/gal" then you'll be fine.

Of course. I think I am very well regarded in general and I think I am quite good at what I do, but from what I have seen at my program at least, just about every person who has landed a pain fellowship has been chief. Again I work towards that goal with other elements in mind of course first and foremost, but if I can do things that would help me become chief without breaking my back that would be great.

Of course. I think I am very well regarded in general and I think I am quite good at what I do, but from what I have seen at my program at least, just about every person who has landed a pain fellowship has been chief. Again I work towards that goal with other elements in mind of course first and foremost, but if I can do things that would help me become chief without breaking my back that would be great.
That's a reasonable approach, but I'd caution that "chief resident" is not an award, it's a job. It's not like winning an Oscar or the Heisman, it's like winning the presidential election. You have to consider if you like being president, not just running for president. All the things you can probably think of that will help you become chief are the same things that will help you get a great fellowship. So, if you leave the chief part out of it, you'd still be good. As long as you have the mindset of wanting to be chief as a hobby/job and not as award you'll be ok.

Last edited:
Agree with TXPMR, being chief is a job and a serious responsibility. Depending on the program it can be anywhere from extra work here and there to taking over your life. If it is something you're passionate about, making changes, decisions in a leadership role, by all means go for it. If you're going for chief solely to benefit the fellowship search, you may be in for a long and miserable year.