Chief Resident????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all..i was just curious as to how one gets the title "Chief Resident?" Do chief residents stay an extra year after their residency to acquire that title or is it strictly a reflection of exceptional work during their residency? Look forward to any replies...take care all..
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad.

The Chief Resident position means different things depending on what program and where you're training. In Internal Medicine the Chief Resident usually signs on for an additional year to do administrative and teaching activities for their medicine program.

Sometimes the chief resident responsibilities are shared by a few residents in the last year of training or is rotated as a requirement for the training program and isn't an additional year: some surgical programs and some community medicine programs work this way.

So how do you get the Chief Resident job ...and why would you want it? Usually the chief is selected by the program director and asked to stay for an additional year (to become a member of the attending staff). It's considered an honor to act a chief for your program, but there are draw-backs, primarily monetary. Chiefs are paid better than residents but far from what they'd make in the real world. Income is supplemented by moon-lighting during this year.

So why would someone choose to take a pay-cut to do the chief year? Again, it's considered an honor to act a chief for your program. Also, many chief's have interests in doing academic medicine and interests in medical administration. Another big reason for doing the chief year is to bolster your CV. It is a great asset when applying to high-powered fellowship programs (i.e: Cardiology, GI, and even Nephrology).

As an aside, the pendullum has really swung back to towards sub-specialization this year. The numbers of applications for fellowships is greater this year than any year previously, over 2x's as many for Cardiology alone... So anything to help you stick out amongst the hundreds of applications for the ~two positions per program.

rtk...thanx for the info....i had a feeling it required extra time beyond residency years....maybe i can demonstrate such exceptional work during residency that my program director will honor me with the Chief Resident position.....but until then, i'll just concentrate on doing well on the April MCATs...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI: in some places it is not an honor at all, but a requirement. In many OB/GYN residencies, it is required that each resident spend at least month as Cheif Resident in the area of fertility medicine. (This weighs on me greatly since I am interested in OB but do not wish to pursue fertility medicine in the least [personal reasons].) You need to look at each program individually to get a real answer.

In surgery all of the 5th years are chiefs.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself worrying about becoming a chief before you even get into med school!

Surg...thanx for your reply...im not aiming to become a chief resident just yet...i only wanted to know how one becomes a chief resident....it was always one of those questions in the back of my mind....now that ive got my answer...back to MCAT studying...take care all...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB