Child/Adult Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeseekr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering which is more competitive of the two

Child Psychiatry or

Adult Psychiatry

Members don't see this ad.

You need adult psychiatry to get to child.

Normally, you enter a child psychiatry fellowship either in your fourth year of adult psychiatry, or graduate your four year adult psychiatry residency, then start a two-year child psychiatry fellowship. In this sense, you can't really compare the competitiveness of the two. One is regular residency, one is a fellowship after residency.

So, let me see if I get this or if I am completly off base, General Psychiatric Residency = Adult Psychiatric Qualifications. However, one doesn't completly focus on Adults in general residency yet you do in Child Psych residency so how does that work?

Psychiatry residency could be called "general" but it is not exclusively adults exposure. You are required to have a child experience within that residency. I have 3 months minimum in my residency program. You'll also have other core rotations, such as geriatrics, addiction, inpatient, outpatient, ER, and the like. After you graduate from psychiatry residency, (or during your fourth year at some programs - particularly those that have a child fellowship themselves), you start child, or other fellowship if you want it.

Hopefully that's clearer. :)