Child Development Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaesarDaniel

Reaction score
Hey current and future docs,

I recently graduated from high school about a month ago and have been primarily interested in going into child and adolescent psychiatry in the future (although I am very open to change my mind in the specialty after experience). I am currently taking a child development course and was wondering if searching for a research opportunity in early development would be a reasonable thing to do -- I'd say my concern is that I am still too early in the game to consider research as I haven't even begun my Fall term as an undergraduate, and that research in psychology doesn't compare to research in a science lab. I am sure these are irrational thoughts, but I would definitely like to hear from others, if possible! :)

I appreciate your time and I'm glad to be hopping onto this long, yet worthwhile ride.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey current and future docs,

I recently graduated from high school about a month ago and have been primarily interested in going into child and adolescent psychiatry in the future (although I am very open to change my mind in the specialty after experience). I am currently taking a child development course and was wondering if searching for a research opportunity in early development would be a reasonable thing to do -- I'd say my concern is that I am still too early in the game to consider research as I haven't even begun my Fall term as an undergraduate, and that research in psychology doesn't compare to research in a science lab. I am sure these are irrational thoughts, but I would definitely like to hear from others, if possible! :)

I appreciate your time and I'm glad to be hopping onto this long, yet worthwhile ride.

I realize you're eager and enthusiastic about beginning your very first Fall term in college ... no worries. I understand. :)

However ...

Before you even consider applying for a time-consuming and labor-intensive research opportunity in college, it's advisable to see *how* well you're actually adjusting to the increased academic workload you must manage as a brand new frosh in college.

Many new undergraduate students often need time to re-adjust (or struggle to re-adjust) to the inevitable demands of college life. Pre-med BCPM core courses are often much more challenging, and much more time-consuming, in college. As a result, many incoming students have to find new ways to study in college, and new ways to integrate the vast amount of dense material they will need to know to do well in their courses - especially in their BCPM core courses.

So ... suggest you wait before you start research as a brand new frosh.

You will have plenty of time in college to pursue research opportunities and to learn about the "scientific method" associated with research (and by the way, the scientific method is applicable to most research projects, including science research and psychological research). You'll be fine, take your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I realize you're eager and enthusiastic about beginning your very first Fall term in college ... no worries. I understand. :)

However ...

Before you even consider applying for a time-consuming and labor-intensive research opportunity in college, it's advisable to see *how* well you're actually adjusting to the increased academic workload you must manage as a brand new frosh in college.

Many new undergraduate students often need time to re-adjust (or struggle to re-adjust) to the inevitable demands of college life. Pre-med BCPM core courses are often much more challenging, and much more time-consuming, in college. As a result, many incoming students have to find new ways to study in college, and new ways to integrate the vast amount of dense material they will need to know to do well in their courses - especially in their BCPM core courses.

So ... suggest you wait before you start research as a brand new frosh.

You will have plenty of time in college to pursue research opportunities and to learn about the "scientific method" associated with research (and by the way, the scientific method is applicable to most research projects, including science research and psychological research). You'll be fine, take your time.
I really appreciate your response and considering my transition into college -- thank you so much! I'll definitely take it one day at a time and see how my first year goes.

Reactions: 1 user