Child Neuro Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro4Kids

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

PGY4 peds neuro resident here.
Any insight on current salary trends for child neurologists ? I’m also applying for an epilepsy fellowship [hope to stay at my home institution for that but would like to relocate to Texas after fellowship].

Curious if being epilepsy trained adds anything ?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-5 doing a different fellowship. From what I've heard from prior grads from my program (a mix of fellowship-trained and gen child neuro), initial compensation ranges from 180k-250k at academic institutions, and 250k-300k at private practices. I suspect epilepsy will help, and there also seem to be a ton of epilepsy openings that I get advertised, so I'd imagine toward the higher end of those ranges? I don't know about Texas in particular.

Reactions: 1 user
For Peds Epilepsy, in the range of 250-350K in academic institutions at mid size towns. In major cities can go down to 180-250 K. Private practice definitely pays more though (close to 500K).

Members don't see this ad :)
For Peds Epilepsy, in the range of 250-350K in academic institutions at mid size towns. In major cities can go down to 180-250 K. Private practice definitely pays more though (close to 500K).
These seem like high numbers, especially for academic jobs. $500k for doing anything in neurology, especially peds is going to be >90th income percentile on MGMA outside of pain and neurointerventional. With that said there are a few private centers with crazy high numbers on LTM EEGs, but the reimbursement for this was cut significantly a few years ago. The poster above with 250-300k for PP and 180-250 academics are more normal numbers, with a busy well run private practice at high volumes getting you to 350-400k. I would have a hard time believing peds numbers to be any better than adult neurology, if anything worse due to much more medicaid in the payor mix like all peds specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
Most recent numbers are higher given how severe inflation has been. $200-250k in elite academic, $250-400k “academic” and community systems. In undesirable areas or private practice Ive seen excess 400 but >500 must be a partner.

With peds neuro, its quite possible to see very high volumes in clinic if you are willing to see ADHD patients. My former practice partner used to do this. He was easily seeing about 40 patients daily between 8 am to 3 pm. This was mostly 3 month follow ups for refilling stimulants - so very possible to see patients very quickly. He continued to see his patients for ADHD after they turned 18 as well. He had a very loyal patient base.

He seemed to be making bank doing what he did. He owned restaurants, hotels, mansion by the lake, and seemed to drive a plethora of brand new luxury cars.

The cons for the practice were that it would take forever to room my patients because of the huge volume needing to get signed in. Office staff turnover was also very high as many would seemingly get burned out by dealing with so many often unpleasant patients wanting their stimulants.

Reactions: 1 users