child neurology residency logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotiger

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding information about how to match into a child neurology residency - it's one program, but since you can match into the peds portion into a different place, it must be more than one application! Websites for different programs are sparse, and the SF Match requires registering before being able to read the program directory...how frustrating! Anyone have a good resource on how exactly to apply? I'm about ready to just go meet with the program director at my school to get some help...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a hard time finding information about how to match into a child neurology residency - it's one program, but since you can match into the peds portion into a different place, it must be more than one application! Websites for different programs are sparse, and the SF Match requires registering before being able to read the program directory...how frustrating! Anyone have a good resource on how exactly to apply? I'm about ready to just go meet with the program director at my school to get some help...

It would be a good idea to meet with the program director regardless. He/She will be able to give you some guidance and steer you toward programs that will be a good fit for you. I am adult neuro, so I don't know anything extra about the SF Match, sorry. I do know that the peds residents at my program applied to peds places and peds-neuro fellowships. There are generally two tracks, one where you do two years of peds then do the fellowship (3 years - 1 adult, 2 peds neuro) or you do a research track where you do a year of research, a year of peds, then the fellowship. There are, of course, those that complete a 3 year peds residency first, but that definitely delays things. I have heard rumors that some programs do not like to accept peds neuro into their pediatrics program, because they do not want to lose a resident after two years. Not sure if this still holds.