Child Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoutnj19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new 'official' thread for those interested in Child Neurology.

There are a number of older threads that are significantly outdated in content... and there was a recent thread that was dedicated to this last match season.

Still, a dedicated thread for us peds/neuro people seems appropriate. There aren't too many of us, but we'll see what the traffic is like.

In any case, welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Good idea. I stickied it, but let me know if you think it would get more notice from the standard section.

oh, it probably would, but let's keep it here for now. thanks for the faith!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an M4 who just matched into child neuro at a large academic peds center. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I'm an M4 who just matched into child neuro at a large academic peds center. Feel free to ask me any questions.

wonderful! thanks for being willing to help. i guess a good start for all the ghost readers and potential child neuro peeps would be a 'gut reactions' to the match process this past year.

how was it, now that everything is consolidated via eras? i know programs are starting to coordinate interviews between peds and child neuro programs... was it still a speedbump for you? did you see mainly the same people at interviews? other thoughts...

thanks!

are any m3s planning to do an away rotation for child neurology next year? i just finished one locally and enjoyed it immensely, but i'm curious about other programs, etc.

wonderful! thanks for being willing to help. i guess a good start for all the ghost readers and potential child neuro peeps would be a 'gut reactions' to the match process this past year.

how was it, now that everything is consolidated via eras? i know programs are starting to coordinate interviews between peds and child neuro programs... was it still a speedbump for you? did you see mainly the same people at interviews? other thoughts...

thanks!

I thought the process worked relatively well on ERAS. Listening to the complaints of people from years ahead of me the old way was way more painful. I only applied to categorical programs and most of them coordinated interviews with gen peds. I only interviewed at one program which didn't coordinate and that was only because they were able to schedule one of the interview days while I was in town anyways for Step 2 CS. I turned down interviews from programs (some in the top 10) that didn't coordinate interviews. (I couldn't afford two trips)

Overall, scheduling interviews was a pain. Most child neuro programs don't have a ton of slots so they don't have a ton of interview days. I had to turn down several interviews simply because the only days they offered conflicted with other programs' interview days. Plus, it isn't easy to stack interviews (like my gen peds compatriots often did) when they're 2 day interviews.

Also some categorical programs behave more like advanced programs without good communication with gen peds and ranking decisions are made separately. Others the child neuro program formulates the rank list and gen peds just has veto power.

Some other things about the process:
- Many categorical programs make you apply to both gen peds and child neuro. Basically making you pay 2 application fees to put you on 1 rank list.
- Because some programs ask for 2 applications, you'll need to follow the LOR requirements of each side of the program. For instance, some academic centers the gen peds apps required chair letters.
- there are a ton of MD/PHD applicants in child neuro, which was intimidating at times. It's definitely a field that attracts and values strong research credentials

With the ACGME standardization there's a limit to the uniqueness of programs, but here are the big differentiators:
- size, how many in each class, how many attendings
- how the adult year is handled. All during PGY-3? spread out over PGY 3-5? How many ward months? I saw some pretty abusive adult years where you were basically slave labor for the adult neuro side for 1 year (ex. 10 ward months in PGY-3).
- number of subspecialized faculty, number of fellowships (epilepsy, electrophysiology, movement d/o's, headache, etc), are there any gaps? (neonatal neurology, neuroimmunology, neurocritical care, etc)
- research support, assistance writing grants, money for conferences & presenting
- Quality of gen peds program
- Is there an inpatient service or is neurology just a consult service. Do you get good exposure to neurocritical care? There were some programs I saw which were heavily clinic oriented (which could be good or bad)
- How good is EEG exposure/training?
- What electives are available?
- How is call handled?

Also, another thing to keep in mind is there is likely going to be flux in the ACGME requirements within the next few years (ex. number of required adult months), so the requirements when you start PGY-1 may not be the same at PGY-3.

Hope that helps.

if were required to submit 2 applications does that mean we need two different personal statements?

Also, is there a difference between gen peds and neuro in terms of competitiveness? can you be accepted by the neuro program and be rejected by the peds program b/c peds didnt think you were competitive enough?

if were required to submit 2 applications does that mean we need two different personal statements?

Also, is there a difference between gen peds and neuro in terms of competitiveness? can you be accepted by the neuro program and be rejected by the peds program b/c peds didnt think you were competitive enough?

I only applied to categorical child neuro programs so I sent in the same PS to both programs. But if you're applying to categorical peds and advanced child neurology slots you'll probably need two PS's. (Categorical peds programs aren't keen on losing a resident 2/3's the way through). Although if you're applying to the categorical peds program at the same institution as an advanced child neuro slot they'll likely know you're going for child neuro. (Sorry for all the confusing advanced vs. categorical speak).

In categorical programs there can be a difference in competitiveness between gen peds and neuro. A lot of child neuro programs are part of large academic peds centers. I have heard from PDs about getting pushback from gen peds about people they wanted. Also different programs coordinate with gen peds in different ways. For instance my friend applied for a categorical spot at Harvard and was offered an interview for child neuro but rejected by gen peds. The PD told her, "well, you can still apply for one of our advanced spots." She declined the interview. So sometimes interview offer decisions come separately or are made entirely by neuro. Same goes for rank lists. Sometimes neuro makes the rank list and gen peds has veto power. Sometimes they make separate rank lists and the PDs get together and synthesize/modify the final list.

That's awesome info, NTF. Seriously, thanks - awesome to hear from someone who's been there.

I'm psyched about child neuro - it's just too bad so many of the residency websites are outdated (e.g. referencing the SF match) or unhelpful. I know we're still a few months off from getting our applications together, but is anyone up for helping each other out by sharing up-to-date info on the basics? Nothing fancy, just the sort of stuff that ought to be on their residency sites. (I know I'd appreciate it - my school has no peds neuro program, so I'm flying blind here.)

I'll start: The majority of the residency websites listed on http://www.childneurologysociety.org/careers/getting-in/training-programs#child have links which are either broken, absent, or completely misdirected. Here are the corrected links as I've found them:

If anyone has any info on the residency programs without links (such as whether they still exist), that'd be awesome.

Thanks for your help! I asked this because my step 1 is on the lower side (slightly lower than average), but I did research before medical school in neuroscience and got 20 co-authored papers and about 10 abstracts out of it. I know this will help me at some of the higher programs but am afraid my step 1 will hinder me with those programs. how should i proceed? will i need to apply to just general peds programs and let them know im doing neurology so i'll be there 2 years (and do they understand this)? also, do you think that getting a significantly higher step 2 helps? I like to think that the concepts are becoming more clear this year and i know how to better prepare for these things now. I'd like to go to a good program but as long as i get a good education, im not too picky about where i go. I also dont have a preference geographically. I'll be thankful for wherever i match. I just want to know that i will.

appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I asked this because my step 1 is on the lower side (slightly lower than average), but I did research before medical school in neuroscience and got 20 co-authored papers and about 10 abstracts out of it. I know this will help me at some of the higher programs but am afraid my step 1 will hinder me with those programs. how should i proceed? will i need to apply to just general peds programs and let them know im doing neurology so i'll be there 2 years (and do they understand this)? also, do you think that getting a significantly higher step 2 helps? I like to think that the concepts are becoming more clear this year and i know how to better prepare for these things now. I'd like to go to a good program but as long as i get a good education, im not too picky about where i go. I also dont have a preference geographically. I'll be thankful for wherever i match. I just want to know that i will.

appreciate the help!

Given your rather extensive research history (a big plus in child neuro), you probably won't get much pushback from gen peds unless you're below their step cut-offs (and the decision to interview is made separately). This assumes of course that you do better on step 2 (and yes it will help). I'd make sure to apply broadly (and don't neglect top programs because of your step 1). It's always hard to tell from the outside how these decisions get made by gen peds & neuro. Overall, child neuro is an applicant's market. Last year something like 17 categorical and advanced spots didn't fill in the match (don't know about post-SOAP). But like anything else, the top programs are selective. At my program the average step scores for child neuro were in the 240's. But there are many excellent programs that provide great training and match applicants with a range of scores and credentials.

As far as what to tell categorical peds programs that you are looking into for a 2-yr peds prelim, I don't have great advice because I didn't go that route. My guess would be if you're not applying to that institution's child neuro program then you can play it pretty close to the belt and just let them assume you're in it to be a pediatrician. If you're applying to the child neuro program at that institution, I'd just level with them because they're likely to know you applied child neuro anyway.

Another important point about applying to some categorical gen peds programs to cover your bases, is should you not match this round you'll have the opportunity to match into child neuro as an R2. Usually these slots open up because people quit or decide they'd rather just be a general pediatrician. The programs are usually pretty psyched to snatch up any resident w/ interest and no significant red flags.

Kind of random question I was wondering about for most peds neuro folks, if hypothetically you couldn't do peds-neuro, would you be more likely to be happy doing another peds field or more likely to do adult neuro? (This isn't related to any actual choice, just trying to learn more about the mindset of people entering the field)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of random question I was wondering about for most peds neuro folks, if hypothetically you couldn't do peds-neuro, would you be more likely to be happy doing another peds field or more likely to do adult neuro? (This isn't related to any actual choice, just trying to learn more about the mindset of people entering the field)

I came to peds neuro by way of peds so for me either gen peds or another peds specialty would be infinitely more appealing. In fact I was debating between peds PM&R and peds neuro at the beginning of M4.

the eras site for peds neuro has a solid list of program websites. we can always update things if there are ever broken links, but this is the list ive been using for the moment.

New ACGME requirements came out last week. Now inpatient months in the 12 mo of adult training are limited to 6 mo.

I'm just a first year but I think I may be interested in child neuro and haven't been able to get any clear information about it. From reading this thread, I sort of understand that you have to do a general peds residency first. Is that correct? Is neurology then considered a pediatric fellowship or a residency? I'm trying to get a general understanding of how the application process works. Do you just apply to general peds then later child neuro?

Also, salary expectations? I've been told it is one of the lowest paid specialties but haven't ever heard a general range for salary expectations. Is it higher than general peds?

Just curious :) Thanks for any help you can give!

I'm just a first year but I think I may be interested in child neuro and haven't been able to get any clear information about it. From reading this thread, I sort of understand that you have to do a general peds residency first. Is that correct? Is neurology then considered a pediatric fellowship or a residency? I'm trying to get a general understanding of how the application process works. Do you just apply to general peds then later child neuro?

Also, salary expectations? I've been told it is one of the lowest paid specialties but haven't ever heard a general range for salary expectations. Is it higher than general peds?

Just curious :) Thanks for any help you can give!

most child neurology programs are a combined peds/child neuro program. think about it this way... you complete 6-7 years of training in 5. generally, these programs have you do 2 years of peds, a year of adult neuro and then two years of child neurology. at the very end, you can sit for the child neuro boards and be a card-carrying board-certified child neuro doc.

technically, you would also be eligible to sit for the peds boards after three years (even though you would have only completed two years of peds residency). in talking with program directors and department chairs, most child neuro trainees choose not to do this for two reasons... one -> you'd be a year removed from all that peds and you'd have to be studying for that year despite doing adult neuro | two -> most trainees who choose to do peds neuro love it and would rather just practice that anyway, so there's no point in sitting for the peds boards

all of that to say... when you apply, you apply to a combined program. it has it's own designation in ERAS. how individual programs figure out the details can vary.

as for the salary expectations, im not entirely sure. the topic has been addressed here

technically, you would also be eligible to sit for the peds boards after three years (even though you would have only completed two years of peds residency). in talking with program directors and department chairs, most child neuro trainees choose not to do this for two reasons... one -> you'd be a year removed from all that peds and you'd have to be studying for that year despite doing adult neuro | two -> most trainees who choose to do peds neuro love it and would rather just practice that anyway, so there's no point in sitting for the peds boards

all of that to say... when you apply, you apply to a combined program. it has it's own designation in ERAS. how individual programs figure out the details can vary.

Actually, some of this is a bit incorrect.

1. You are not eligible to sit for pediatrics boards until after the entire five year program is completed (https://www.abp.org/abpwebsite/beco...s/nonstandardpathways/pediatricsneurology.htm). Most residents don't the peds boards, because it's not really required for most jobs and you would be eligible the same year you take the neuro boards -- which is three years after completing the two years of general peds. Certain academic positions require peds boards, but they are not common.

2, There are both categorical (combined pediatrics and neurology spots) AND advanced (just the three years pediatric neuro spots) available in the match. The advanced spots require you to find your own pediatrics program. Some programs have designated two-year spots and others require a conversation with a pediatrics program to allow you to do only two years. That being said, I applied back in the days of the SF Match, so that's just based on what my PD has said.

3. Anyway, the usual path is to apply for both pediatrics and peds neuro at the same time when you're a fourth year medical student. There are other pathways though: but less common. Can see details here (though be warned -- new ACGME requirements just got approved, so this is still the old list of requirements: http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/185childneurology07012007.pdf)

thanks for the clarifications.

i was told by a program director that you could sit for peds boards after third year... not sure if they have a different arrangement or something.

as far as the categorical vs. preliminary program distinction, i only mentioned categoricals because that's the route most programs are headed. didn't mean to mislead anyone.

anyway, thanks for the additional information!

New ACGME requirements came out last week. Now inpatient months in the 12 mo of adult training are limited to 6 mo.

so, i've actually been curious about this. there is still a one year adult neurology training requirement, but only 6 months of which can be inpatient... is that right? would the remaining be procedural, outpatient, etc? i assume programs will decide what the remaining half year would entail.

i've also been curious how peds neuro residents are treated when they go to the adult year. i've always considered neuro colleagues as pretty thoughtful and kind individuals... but are there any experiences of peds neuro residents getting poorer schedules and such?

anyway... hope everyone is well!

so, i've actually been curious about this. there is still a one year adult neurology training requirement, but only 6 months of which can be inpatient... is that right? would the remaining be procedural, outpatient, etc? i assume programs will decide what the remaining half year would entail.

i've also been curious how peds neuro residents are treated when they go to the adult year. i've always considered neuro colleagues as pretty thoughtful and kind individuals... but are there any experiences of peds neuro residents getting poorer schedules and such?

anyway... hope everyone is well!

Sorry should have posted the site where you can download the pdfs before:
http://www.acgme-nas.org/neurology.html

On page 17 of the child neuro requirements:

"at least 12 months FTE of adult neurology experience that do not need to be contiguous, including:
- no more than six of these months on inpatient rotations
- at least 3 months of outpatient clinical adult neurology
- training in relevant diagnostic testing procedures and areas of neuroscience"

So some of these new requirements eliminate some of the more abusive adult neuro years I saw on the interview trail (for ex. one program I was at had 10 adult ward months in PGY-3).

As far as how child neuro residents get treated by adult neuro, that will be institution dependent. I have heard complaints of child neuro residents getting dumped on while on their adult rotations. But at some institutions there was an active effort by adult neuro to protect child neuro residents (within the confines of protecting patient care and making sure the work gets done) by giving them patients that were the best for neuro learning purposes (avoiding giving them medical or social trainwrecks). Of course the favor was returned when the adult neuro residents spent their 3 months on the child side, trying to make it the most useful from their educational standpoint rather than just abuse them as labor.

Northwestern seemed to have the most collegial relationship I saw in terms of adult and child neuro residents protecting each other. Also Northwestern had something I never saw before. No adult call for child neuro residents. When you do call you're covering the child neuro floors.

Like anything else this is something you'll have to probe from the residents during the dinners at your interview visits. I did get the sense at some places that residents felt somewhat abandoned and abused when they were on the adult services. But there were others where the relationship with adult neuro was very good and residents felt they got great and efficient educational experiences as well as having strong relationships with their resident counterparts.

will i need to apply to just general peds programs and let them know im doing neurology so i'll be there 2 years (and do they understand this)?

So back when child neuro was on SF Match, and gen peds was on ERAS, you really could match to one place for advanced child neuro (early, in January), then match to a completely separate categorical gen peds program (in March, on the standard Match Day), and then simply ditch the peds program after 2 years.

As I found out in January of the year I applied, which was the first year that child neuro was on ERAS, this is no longer possible! It is physically impossible to rank a categorical peds program with an advanced child neuro program in the ranking website. It doesn't matter how much the categorical program "understands" that you will leave after 2 years- when you rank an advanced child neuro position (or advanced anesthesia, or radiology, or anything else advanced), it gives you a big red error message if you try to rank a categorical peds (or categorical anything) with the advanced spot. You can only rank "preliminary" positions with advanced positions. I had about a week-long meltdown when discovering this, and then frantically got some prelim interviews at the last minute :)

So, if you're going to be ranking advanced child neuro programs at all, you'll need to have interviewed with at least a few pedi prelims. They are quite scarce, and some derm/ophtho/rads people are going for them as well. Then, if you match to an advanced child neuro spot and a one-year pedi prelim, you have to hope and pray that your prelim program will extend your spot for 2 years. I was very, very lucky to 1) get a last minute pedi prelim and 2) have the one-year spot get extended to a two-year position.

Last edited:
so i guess here's my question. on eras, some programs have you only apply to the child neuro categorical program (5 years) and that's the end of it. others require you to apply to both child neuro and to peds... does this preclude you from applying to peds straight up at the same place?

my wife and i really want to stay in town and we're just trying to figure out how it all works

Hey Scout

Ok I think I understand your question :) If a child neuro program only has advanced spots, and there are no pedi prelim programs in that city, then you could simply finish a 3-year categorical pediatrics residency first, then do 3 years child neuro. It's 6 years total, but will work if you really need to stay in one city. Or, you could start the categorical pedi residency, and then get permission from your pedi program director to apply to child neuro after your PGY-1 year, then match to a "Reserved" 3 year child neuro spot ("Reserved" just means that the position will begin that year instead of 2 years later). This would only take 5 years, but would be dependent on your pedi program director allowing you to leave after PGY-2. Also, the child neuro program would need to have a "Reserved" position open in the match that year.

So yeah, this is all much more complicated than taking a 5-year, categorical child neuro position with the pedi years included.

im going to ask this question again in a different way, as im still unclear on it... (i appreciate the help)

let's say i want to stay in a city, and a hospital has both a child neuro program (with two prelim peds spots set aside) and a general peds program. is it taboo for me to apply to both the child neuro program and the general peds program? (even if the general peds program would mean no child neuro)

i understand that program directors might consider it as if you don't really care either way, so you're applying to both... but if it means that my family all stay in a city, id be willing to do it.

just curious what all of your thoughts are on this. thanks!

im going to ask this question again in a different way, as im still unclear on it... (i appreciate the help)

let's say i want to stay in a city, and a hospital has both a child neuro program (with two prelim peds spots set aside) and a general peds program. is it taboo for me to apply to both the child neuro program and the general peds program? (even if the general peds program would mean no child neuro)

i understand that program directors might consider it as if you don't really care either way, so you're applying to both... but if it means that my family all stay in a city, id be willing to do it.

just curious what all of your thoughts are on this. thanks!

I can only speak for our program (integrated): It's not taboo as far as we are concerned. But keep in mind that we work pretty closely with pediatrics during recruiting, interviewing, and ranking, we know each applicant for the integrated program very well, and we know if you've applied to both programs. It will come up during the interview, so you will probably need to tell us why you've done it that way.

The issue is when we submit our rank lists. We can't really rank you in both pedi neuro AND pediatrics. They are separate programs with separate rank lists (within the same institution), so we'd either rank you on one or the other. You, on the other hand, would be free to rank both programs if you desired. In other words, applying to both doesn't increase your chances one way or the other of staying in your chosen city. Does that make sense?

I would suggest that if you really want to do pedi neuro, and you want to stay in your home city, you be upfront about that during your interviews. Hope that helps!

I can only speak for our program (integrated): It's not taboo as far as we are concerned. But keep in mind that we work pretty closely with pediatrics during recruiting, interviewing, and ranking, we know each applicant for the integrated program very well, and we know if you've applied to both programs. It will come up during the interview, so you will probably need to tell us why you've done it that way.

The issue is when we submit our rank lists. We can't really rank you in both pedi neuro AND pediatrics. They are separate programs with separate rank lists (within the same institution), so we'd either rank you on one or the other. You, on the other hand, would be free to rank both programs if you desired. In other words, applying to both doesn't increase your chances one way or the other of staying in your chosen city. Does that make sense?

I would suggest that if you really want to do pedi neuro, and you want to stay in your home city, you be upfront about that during your interviews. Hope that helps!

it certainly does help, and thank you for being willing to shed some light on the subject. i think it's just a common misconception, apparently, among students that if you apply to a couple of residency programs at the same institution, it might provide you a better chance of being at that institution (especially if you really like the place)

i definitely see what you're saying coming the program's perspective. considering the required two years in general peds, it makes sense that the various programs share applicant lists.

anyway, i appreciate the insight. it has certainly made me consider things differently

Thanks everyone for the info posted to date!!! As someone who recently decided to pursue a pediatric neurology residency it has been very helpful.

I have a question in regards to letters of recommendation. For categorical programs that require both a general pediatrics and child neurology application do most applicants use the exact same letters of recommendation for both. I know in the end its "one application" at a given institution but was curious how most handle the parallel applications.

Thanks everyone for the info posted to date!!! As someone who recently decided to pursue a pediatric neurology residency it has been very helpful.

I have a question in regards to letters of recommendation. For categorical programs that require both a general pediatrics and child neurology application do most applicants use the exact same letters of recommendation for both. I know in the end its "one application" at a given institution but was curious how most handle the parallel applications.

from what i understand, use the same letters. some programs have a combined application in ERAS -> as in, it automatically is one application and you don't have to apply to general peds at all. obviously, in this case, it makes things easier because you don't have to do it twice.

other programs do require you to apply to both. in that case, it would seem that the best idea is to maintain the integrity of your application and use the same credentials (letters, personal statement, etc.) for both apps so there is no discrepancy. the general peds side will know, anyway, that you're applying to peds neuro.

as an aside, i think it would be extremely helpful to make a list of programs that require two applications and programs that only require one. eras makes it extremely confusing, in my mind... but that may largely be because no one really tells you how eras works, you just have to figure it out

Thanks for the info and think the list is a great idea.

Thanks for the info and think the list is a great idea.

i'll start working on the list over the next week. i have cs on friday, so that'll take up some time (obviously). also just got approved for a clinical peds-neuro-related research study that'll take some time setting up... but i think the list should help, if only a little, to organize things a little better over the next few weeks.

peds-neuro is what i want to do, so it'll be good research for me anyway :)

[updated 8.18.2013]

this list is based on a quick look at each program's website. it is not yet complete by any means and it is meant just as a quick reference tool regarding applications

programs are listed in alphabetical order no particular order whatsoever

boston children's - both
children's mercy/ku - categorical only
cincinnati - only one app
duke - both
emory - categorical only
louisville - prelim peds app and neuro categorical app
new mexico - both
oregon health and sciences - both
u texas southwestern - categorical only
u of washington - categorical only
wake forest - categorical only
alabama birmingham – categorical only
phoenix children’s hospital – categorical only
arkansas – categorical only
children’s hospital los angeles – both
ucal san diego – both
stanford – both
ucal san francisco – categorical only
ucal Irvine – categorical only
loma linda – categorical only
ucla – categorical only
colorado – both
children’s national/georgetown - both
wolfson’s/mayo/jacksonville – advanced only
georgia health – san francisco match program
mcgaw northwestern – both
u of chicago – both

ill do more later... again

Last edited:
Is there a link to last year's peds neuro match/interview impressions?

Cheers Fellow Child Neuro Enthusiasts!

Does anyone have info on how to gauge one's competitiveness?

In looking at some previous posts and talking to a few that have reviewed applicants in the past, the take home is that the overall "fit" between candidate and program is a key factor. Especially, in light of the small size of most programs. Of course the basic pieces of data that we are all familiar with become important. For example... Honors in neurology and pediatrics clerkships with a few more thrown in for good measure during third year puts you ahead. A 230 step 1 score would not eliminate you from just about anywhere but some programs do have higher averages, a 250+ may get you noticed. Class rank: the top 1/3rd of the class is always good. 5+ Publications or a phd or masters degrees is a plus. Extensive volunteer or leadership roles? The last few being the things that nudge a candidate up or down a bit on a rank list.

The recurring theme I keep hearing regarding residency selection in almost all areas, is that ones numbers put you in a certain ballpark, but ultimately it truly comes down to the overall application. So, whether you have a "good" application or a "great" one (whatever that means), you should apply to the programs you may want to go to as you have earned that opportunity.

Last edited:
I am not sure where to ask this - I am extremely interested in peds and I might be interested in neuro (haven't had that rotation yet - but I know whatever specialty I pick, I want it to involve children). Can someone go over what a 'day in the life' is like for Child Neuro? What are the bread & butter diseases? What type of things do you do on a daily basis, etc? Is it mostly in patient/outpatient, etc? I'd highly appreciate it.

Does anyone know when we will actually be interviewing? I know we start getting invites sept/oct. However, I am just wondering what blocks I should take off.

Thanks!!!

Dear Shaggy Alfresco,

You can look on FREIDA... it has all the info you are looking for. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
[updated 8.18.2013]

this list is based on a quick look at each program's website. it is not yet complete by any means and it is meant just as a quick reference tool regarding applications

programs are listed in alphabetical order no particular order whatsoever

boston children's - both
children's mercy/ku - categorical only
cincinnati - only one app
duke - both
emory - categorical only
louisville - prelim peds app and neuro categorical app
new mexico - both
oregon health and sciences - both
u texas southwestern - categorical only
u of washington - categorical only
wake forest - categorical only
alabama birmingham – categorical only
phoenix children’s hospital – categorical only
arkansas – categorical only
children’s hospital los angeles – both
ucal san diego – both
stanford – both
ucal san francisco – categorical only
ucal Irvine – categorical only
loma linda – categorical only
ucla – categorical only
colorado – both
children’s national/georgetown - both
wolfson’s/mayo/jacksonville – advanced only
georgia health – san francisco match program
mcgaw northwestern – both
u of chicago – both

ill do more later... again
Dear Scoutnj,

For your list, when you say 'both', do you mean that we need to apply to both peds and PN separately on ERAS?

Dear Scoutnj,

For your list, when you say 'both', do you mean that we need to apply to both peds and PN separately on ERAS?

from my understanding, that is correct. i haven't had a chance to touch the list because of my kids being sick [one even got hospitalized for a bit], but that is my understanding.

if you go into eras and look at some of the programs, some will have a specific child neurology app setting on their pediatrics page... as well as a child neuro app in child neurology itself. some just have one combined.

my list was based off of information from the respective websites, but please don't take it as absolutely fact... things always change

Thanks for your hard work!

So many of the programs are brand new with the categorical positions. I feel like there isn't a lot of direction.

To add to your list
Vanderbilt: both (same application)
Oregon: one application to PN
U of South Carolina: One application to PN
U of Washington: One application to PN

A quick question if anyone has a moment...

1) How many programs do most applicants apply to? I've got around 20 listed currently, but with most programs having so few spots I don't know if I should add a few more.

I have seen in previous posts that most have a final rank list of 8-10 programs.

Good luck to everyone finishing up their applications!!!

Last edited:
I applied to 18 (counting the extra peds programs). hope that's enough!

I applied to 30 (couples matching with the wife - I know it's overkill otherwise).

Just got my 1st interview invite, to one of my top choices! Pretty stoked about it.

Are we going to do the official interview invite list that has been done in past years? I think it would be useful. I can start it off in this thread if that's the appropriate place for it.

Yes a list would be great. Maybe cut and paste last year's instructions?

Congrats on your interview invite--That's great!

Arizona
Phoenix Children's/Barrow :

California
Children's Los Angeles:
Harbor-UCLA:
Loma Linda:
Stanford:
UC Irvine: pylori,
UCLA Main Campus:
UCSF:

Colorado
Univ of Colorado:

District of Columbia
Children's National:

Georgia
GHSU:
Emory:

Illinois
McGaw/Northwestern:
University of Chicago:

Kentucky
Uni of Kentucky:

Louisiana
LSU New Orleans:

Massachusetts
Boston University:
Tufts:

Michigan
Univ of Michigan:
CHoM - Detroit:

Minnesota
Mayo:

Missouri
SLU:
WashU:

New Mexico
Univ of New Mexico:

New York
Cornell:
Einstein:
Rochester:
NYU:
SUNY Buffalo
LIJ/North Shore

North Carolina
Duke:
UNC:
Wake Forest:

Ohio
Case/Rainbow Babies:
Cleveland:
Cincinnati:
(9/17): TromnerMD1893
Nationwide:

Oregon
OHSU:

Pennsylvania
CHOP:
UPMC:

South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina:

Tennessee
Vanderbilt: (10/8) jpgr

Texas
Baylor:
UT Southwestern:
UT Houston

Utah
Uni of Utah:

Virginia
UVA:

Washington
Univ of Washington:

1) Keep the list in the body when you reply
2) Please sort alphabetically by state
3) Try to say what school/program you are adding in the subject line
4) It would be helpful if the person who FIRST adds a program could also include the date they received their invite.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title/subject line so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added.

um... i applied to 50 programs for the categorical and I was under the impression that clicking the categorical box meant the first 2 years would be included.

are you saying that i have to click on the pediatrics specialty and look for the same school and apply to the pediatrics program again? thats idiotic. then why make a categorical a choice in the first place?