Child Protective Services Investigator for Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of deciding on how I will spend my time during my gap year. I have come across the opportunity to be a full time Child Protective Services Investigator in my home state and town. I am curious how admissions committee members will value or not value such a job. I am hesitant because it is not involved in research or medicine. I would continue to volunteer in healthcare throughout my gap year.

While working for CPS would not give me direct medical or research exposure it would allow me to work directly with my community which is something I value. I believe I could obtain a job involved in clinical research but the work would likely be focused on data and not people. I sort of figured I will learn plenty of medicine and be exposed to medicine in medical school (if i get in) and that an experience where I can challenge myself, develop my interpersonal skills, and work in a stressful setting would be valuable to my potential future in medicine.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the process of deciding on how I will spend my time during my gap year. I have come across the opportunity to be a full time Child Protective Services Investigator in my home state and town. I am curious how admissions committee members will value or not value such a job. I am hesitant because it is not involved in research or medicine. I would continue to volunteer in healthcare throughout my gap year.

While working for CPS would not give me direct medical or research exposure it would allow me to work directly with my community which is something I value. I believe I could obtain a job involved in clinical research but the work would likely be focused on data and not people. I sort of figured I will learn plenty of medicine and be exposed to medicine in medical school (if i get in) and that an experience where I can challenge myself, develop my interpersonal skills, and work in a stressful setting would be valuable to my potential future in medicine.

What do you guys think?
I think it sounds like a really interesting job (but high likelihood of being sad or frustrating) and if I were interviewing you I would look on it favorably.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it sounds like a really interesting job (but high likelihood of being sad or frustrating) and if I were interviewing you I would look on it favorably.

I realize that I could probably get a job that is much easier/less demanding/ not as sad so it is something I have to consider. I think the job would be great for my personal development. However, if we ignored the benefits it may have to me personally how would you view an applicant who worked for CPS versus something like a scribe? Would the job be something that you give some weight to or would it just be checking off the box that I didn't sit at home all day eating pizza during my gap year?

Members don't see this ad :)

What do you guys think?

There are many reports to CPS (and APS) for hospitalized patients. They are usually pretty depressing cases :(...

Do you know if they have a special CPS unit in your town for medical cases ? If not, find out which workers are assigned those cases and request if you can work with him/her/them :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I realize that I could probably get a job that is much easier/less demanding/ not as sad so it is something I have to consider. I think the job would be great for my personal development. However, if we ignored the benefits it may have to me personally how would you view an applicant who worked for CPS versus something like a scribe? Would the job be something that you give some weight to or would it just be checking off the box that I didn't sit at home all day eating pizza during my gap year?
Particulary because of how sad and frustrating I think investigating abuse would be, I would view doing it successfully as a sign of positive qualities that would do well in med school.

Applicants who have worked or who are working as scribes are a dime a dozen. Adcoms to seem to favor novelty and this job is unusual enough and very related to medical care of vulnerable populations to be highly valued by adcoms as a gap year job.

Reactions: 9 users
Applicants who have worked or who are working as scribes are a dime a dozen. Adcoms to seem to favor novelty and this job is unusual enough and very related to medical care of vulnerable populations to be highly valued by adcoms as a gap year job.
Agree 100% with my learned colleague!!!

OP, be prepared for some depressing cases.

You guys all gave great feedback - thank you! This opportunity is definitely going to be moved to the short list for my gap year. I am going to continue to search for options and then try to make the best decision.

I might ask for all of your opinions regarding some other opportunities in the coming months. I have also found an opportunity to work at an AIDS outreach organization that sounds interesting to me but I am lacking some details. I am not sure how that would compare to CPS. Id really just like to work in the community in whatever job I get.

Reactions: 1 user
I have also found an opportunity to work at an AIDS outreach organization

I am not sure how that would compare to CPS.
Working for CPS would be unique and would help you stand out. I'd want to interview you myself. Disclaimer: I used to work on a Child Protective Sevices Multidisciplinary Team.

Reactions: 1 users

If you can do this job, stop looking for other opportunities. It's unique. It's highly relevant. And it will definitely make you stand out in a good way.

Spend the time you save not job-hunting looking for ways to help you learn to cope with all of the dysfunction and tragedy you will be seeing. That will be a very useful and necessary skill and is a topic that will 100% come up in your interviews.

Sounds like a great way to grow and develop some pretty essential soft skills for medicine. Starting to see the benefit of developing those in a stressful job before Med school. I’d say do it and don’t look back.