Child Psych Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OLELA

Hello all:
Anyone with information about the following child psychiatry fellowships:
U Cincinnati, Ohio sate, Indiana, U Kentucky, Vanderbilt university in Nashville, and Wright state in Dayton, OH.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do would probably be to write to the programs and ask for information (that's what I did). I know that U of Cinn, U of Kentucky, IU all have triple board programs, which I think is of interest. Does Wright have a triple board, too? I don't know anything about Vanderbilt. Ohio State seemed like a cool place with some neat residents. One of the drawbacks there was that they couldn't give me a concrete response re: length of training for doing the child fellowship. Of all the programs I interviewed at it was the ONLY one that didn't categorically allow residents to start their child fellowship in the fourth year (thereby allowing the resident to be done in a total of five years). They said that they would "do their best" to allow for training time in as short a period as possible. That's not necessarily worth knocking it out of the running or anything though.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions - you can always PM me.
:)

I'm starting at UK for Psych in July and plan on doing child and I have interviewed at many that you have listed...I guess I would ask you what you want to know first???
Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both replies. I am not aware that Ohio state doesn?t offer a start date at the fourth year level. I?m interested in learning how is the morale in all these program. Some of the these programs, like Vanderbilt, UK, Ohio state, are headed by the same program director, for both adult and child. So if you can tell me your impression about these program when you interviewed there for the adult program, it would be of a great help. I?m also, interested in knowing the work load, call schedule, and the didactics, etc.
Thanks in advance

Originally posted by OLELA
Thanks for both replies. I am not aware that Ohio state doesn?t offer a start date at the fourth year level.

I just thought I should clarify... If one is planning on attending Ohio State ONLY for the fellowship portion, I assume they would let you in after three years of training, assuming your home program has structured things such that you've met all your requirements... I was speaking specifically to the issue of pursuing ALL residency training at OSU. So if I was to do the adult part of my training there, they couldn't guarantee me that I would be able to start my child training at the beginning of my fourth year. They said sometimes you have to complete 3 1/2 or occasionally even all 4 years before starting their fellowship. But as I said, if you are coming to them out of system, I don't think they'll care how many years you've had so long as your adult program says you are able to 'graduate' and start your child fellowship... Of course, to be safe I would check with the specific programs... :)

I noticed on the interview trail that many schools fill their fellowships (especially in child) from within so it might be helpful to consider whether a program has a strong child fellowship when applying. Another thing is to consider whether you will get exposure to child psych in the first couple of years of residency so that you will have a better idea if it is something you want to pursue.

UK has a great director...One of the reasons I was drawn there. She is boarded in Adult/Child psych, IM, and Neurology. This group was probably the nicest group of people I met as a whole. Can't tell you objectively about didactics yet but it seems like a bright and well put together group. You do start child in year 4 if you so desire. They have a night float system...4 weeks during year one, 3 during year 2 and so forth. You do have to make up the weekend days for call so I will probably have 4 weeks of night float and 1-2 weekend days per month of call during my first year. Morale seems great in the program....Lexington is very family oriented...great if your married like me...however if you are single and looking for a scene...I might go to a bigger city. Hope this helps...feel free to ask me for more info if you want specifics.
Chris