Children Are Dying in Ill-Prepared Emergency Rooms Across America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate chronic pain patients coming into the ED. They say they are allergic to nsaids and want iv meds.

did they send them home with opiates?

Yup, after loading them up in the ER.

Members don't see this ad.

They used to ding us if we didn’t make everyone’s pain 0 out of 10, and now they ding us if we ever give an opioid ever.

Regulation and metrics are making medicine worse. Sure there are bad doctors. And we should try to set the bar high so that everyone gets high quality care. Strict admission standards already accomplished that.

What people don’t understand is that outcomes aren’t guaranteed. People aren’t cars. You can’t just change the oil every so often and replace the transmission at some point to keep the car running. You can practice perfect medicine and people still get sicker and die. Medicine is an art. Life isn’t guaranteed America. Count your blessings. You aren’t suffering in Gaza. Our entitlement culture has to change.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course children are dying in ill-prepared EDs across America. They always have. Like anything else, the fix is going to involve resources, such as extra staff, equipment, training, medications and dedicated facilities. But since critically ill and injured children are a very small percentage of patients, it's not PROFITABLE to the businessmen of Medicine to do commit the money and resources. Therefore it's not going to get done.

Of course the American media will, as always, blame the doctors saying they're stupid, ill-trained, greedy and don't care, while completely ignoring the actual source of the problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who gives narcotics for migraine or non-traumatic back pain at my current job gets peer-reviewed. We had a few doctors (most were non-EM trained) in the past that were pretty liberal with opiates for headache and back pain and it turned the ER into a pain clinic.
I can fix basically every headache without opioids. I don't have the same success rate with back pain, and I don't feel bad about giving people a dose of an opioid to get them mobile enough to sleep in their own bed.

Reactions: 1 user
But since critically ill and injured children are a very small percentage of patients, it's not PROFITABLE to the businessmen of Medicine to do commit the money and resources. Therefore it's not going to get done.
This is it right here. Any low volume pathology is going to suffer the same fate.