Children During Pre-Med

MyGoalIsMD

one way to stand out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

I am getting married during the fall semester of my sophomore year in undergrad. (please spare me the whole "you're still a baby" lecture. heard it before. thanks :D)

What is your opinion on when to have children? Would it be better to be pregnant during my sophomore year and have the baby during the summer, or to be pregnant during my senior year which will be reserved for my easier degree requirements?

Would you suggest waiting until I am in medical school, or going ahead with a pregnancy during my pre-medical years. Which would be less stressful? I do not want to wait until I am done with a residency, and these are my main options right now.

Thanks for all the advice I know I'll get!

Members don't see this ad.

I was married right after my Freshman year, so believe me, I heard all the "you're too young" arguments, too!

Your plans for child care will probably be the determining factor in when would be the best time. If your husband plans to stay at home with the baby, he'll probably want to finish his degree first. (I'm assuming he's the same year as you.) If you plan to do this, be prepared to take out additional loans during medical school, and you will also need to look into forms of government assistance. Please don't let people make you feel bad about using them - you will easily pay it all back in taxes once you're a docter. :)

If you both plan on working, a nanny in your home is better than newborn day care, so the baby will get one-on-one care. Your husband's job will be a huge factor if you are both working, as he will need one that is flexible enough to take off for the baby's doctor appointments, and stay home with it when it gets sick (if you use day care, since sick babies aren't allowed to stay). You will not be able to skip most classes (1st and 2nd year) or rotations (3rd and 4th year). You definitely won't have that kind of flexibility during internship/residency.

If you can stand to wait, I would recommend getting pregnant during your 3rd year of medical school. You can arrange more time off your 4th year, so you can spend more time with the baby. Then, you'll start getting paid during residency, so your husband can stay at home with it, and you can live on your income.

:luck:

He is working at American Medical Response and is taking electrician courses. He has a job waiting for him around the school i am transfering to next fall. It will be relatively flexible since it is one of his friends that owns the bussiness. Thanks for your encouragement.