Children under 2 Benadryl dosing questions in pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chantz888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you handle this? All dosing available clearing state "Rx dosing" on my sources. Do you refer them to the PCP? I feel that is the safest option under 2, but not the best option for the patient when the on call MD tells them to go the pharmacy and get OTC Benadryl but neglects to tell them a dose or quantity to use.

How do you handle this? Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

According to my knowledge and references, Benadryl isn't really indicated or safe if the child is under 2 due to CNS excitation and stuff. I don't know what kind of MD told them to use OTC Benadryl, but maybe you should refer them to a pediatrician.

I never go against the dosing on the box. If it's not indicated or recommended I reiterate that. They are free to buy it but I'm not going to recommend it. The one time I broke this rule was when a pediatrician told a mom to give a 4 year old 6.25mg doses for an allergic rash. That's half the 6 year old dose and was recommended by the pediatrician. I taught the patient how to get the 6.25mg using the children's formulation and said to follow their pediatrician's guidelines

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
5 mg/kg per day. Easier math 1 mg/kg per dose. Typically recommend they contact pediatrician. If pediatrician doesn't provide dosing, I use the above

Reactions: 1 users
Refer to PCP/Pediatrician
Thats what the box says.
If the PCP recommended it, then they can go with what the PCP recommended with what specific dose.

Reactions: 1 user
1.25 mg/kg per dose or 5 mg/kg divided qid

What always cracks me up / worries me is when the physician rattles off a brand name & volume to administer to the patient.

How do they know the active ingredients are the same? How do they know the concentration will be the same?

My pediatrician has a chart online for dosing that I refer to, but I always tell them that's only if they got their doctor approval to use the medication.