Chillest OBGYN residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xALIAx

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Can you please list chill programs where residents are happy and get sleep

Thank you

PS: Condescending replies about the importance of sacrificing your health and wellbeing for admins' and attendings' bank account balances not welcome, is considered hate speech, and will be reported

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t name any but generally when residents know there is some unique wellness factor at their program they will volunteer/highlight that information at the interview. Things like the size of the team on each service matter and applicants often forget to think about that. Also, how triage is handled and whether there are midlevels on Gyn, Gyn Onc. If you have afternoon didactics and can go straight home after and afternoon clinic and can go straight home after that’s two days a week you get home at a reasonable hour.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you please list chill programs where residents are happy and get sleep

Thank you

PS: Condescending replies about the importance of sacrificing your health and wellbeing for admins' and attendings' bank account balances not welcome, is considered hate speech, and will be reported

If you are covering labor and delivery, than a significant number of patients deliver between the hours of 12am and 6am (prime sleeping hours).

There are malignant programs, usually inner city programs etc that are terrible and the residents are unhappy but you need to be more specific (location etc).

My program was fairly benign, but when on call, you were essentially running around all night.

If you already have this attitude going into residency, it probably won't work out well. Also, attendings are not really improving their bank account balances by covering residents. Usually its because of some duty to teach or maybe a small financial benefit, but usually it is hardly worth the headache.

Residents are dumber, slower, and less competent than me and I have to cosign/double check the stuff they do. How is that even a benefit?

Every program will have it’s own quirks; by nature obgyns are high strung especially on L&D where something can go wrong at literally any second during an otherwise healthy labor. You may want to not so much look for chill places but for places where residents are happy; you don’t want to be at a place that takes a lasseiz-faire attitude towards training and patient care because then you won’t come out well trained. Instead focus on where there is more education than service like @BigTumor said, you can generally get a good gut sense when you go on interviews. Some programs that I know generate good residents and value them as people are Brown, Riverside in Columbus, Good Samaritan in Cincinnati, Hartford hospital in Connecticut, university of Iowa.

Reactions: 1 user