Chirality question, pic attached

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onionlala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question from Chad's quizzes. It's asking which one is chiral.
I edited out Chad's pic since it's copyrighted material. I drew these using paint. Can someone explain to me why the second molecule is achiral? Where is plane of symmetry?
View attachment chiral2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• chirality question.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 30
  • chiral2.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
if you look closely there is a plane of symmetry between the Carbon 1 and 4, same as the first image you drew

Just out of curiosity, why are you drawing the compounds out in chair conformation? Doing that always makes it more difficult to see planes of symmetry

You're right... I kinda see it now. There is a plane of symmetry. I drew it out because I think I've come across problems where you have to draw out in chair in order to see chirality.

If the compound has two -OH attached at ortho positions, should I draw out in chair to see chirality? Like this example? In this case, the top molecule would be achiral and bottom one would be chiral right?
View attachment chiral3.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're right... I kinda see it now. There is a plane of symmetry. I drew it out because I think I've come across problems where you have to draw out in chair in order to see chirality.

If the compound has two -OH attached at ortho positions, should I draw out in chair to see chirality? Like this example? In this case, the top molecule would be achiral and bottom one would be chiral right?
View attachment 21135

Bottom one....if u draw i mirror plane between 2 oh groups.... you will see they are mirror images of each other......internal mirror plane = achiral

You're making this way too difficult. If there are no chiral centers, the molecule cannot be chiral. There are no chiral centers in the second molecule.

There is one exception, but this is not one of them.