Choice of Anatomy texts....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiminh2o

...bike and run
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed the prof. that will be teaching anatomy this fall regarding what texts to buy and this was his response:
1. Grant's Dissector
2. Human Embrology and Developmental Biology
or The Developing Human
3. Hollingshead's Texbook of Anatomy
or Clinically Oriented Anatomy
4. Atlas of Human Anatomy
or Grant's Atlas of Anatomy

Looks like I have to make a few choices between some of these texts :confused:
Any suggestions from those of you who have used these texts and liked or disliked them?

Members don't see this ad.

We use Moore's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy"...I liked it pretty well. Throughout the chapters it would give a lot of clinical correlates. We had several other of your list on our DVD but I never really read from them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Grant's Dissector Guide BLOWS!!!! Do not purchase this one!

Netter's Anatomy Atlas - ALL THE WAY!!!

There was this other one that a lot of classmates used...it was an anatomy atlas with all real human dissection pictures....hardcover textbook...does anyone know which one I'm talking about? This one is also really good! It has all the veins and arteries highlighted in blue and red respectively!

Members don't see this ad :)
The book that Yah-E is talking about is Rohen, "Color atlas of anatomy". Buy this one if you are lazy, don't want to read the dissector nor going to lab. Just stay home and memorize those pix. I know tons of ppl do that, and they all got good grades, so it works.

Yah-E said:
Grant's Dissector Guide BLOWS!!!! Do not purchase this one!

Netter's Anatomy Atlas - ALL THE WAY!!!

Agreed. Netter ownz.

Moore is excellent for clinicals, though I found it's other/anatomy content to suck compared to Netter + Lab time.

Grant's and those other "picture" books are only good if you can't tell the difference between a nerve and an artery during your dissections. Otherwise, they're useless. I looked at it once and said forget it. Netter ownz.

I liked Netter's too. and I foudn Liebgott's Anatomical Basis of Dentistry pretty helpeful as well.

Did you guy take picture in your anatomy lab ? I just purchase one of digital camera and intend to use it for this purpose. Do you think it is a good idea ? or allowable by the professor ?

DO NOT TAKE PICTURES in the anatomy lab. That is against policies and your dental school can be shut down due to volations in improper management of the cadavers in the Gross lab! This exact issue was addressed here at Nova last year. Cadavers are family members of people and without their relative's permission, they do not wish to see the deceased ones' pictures all over the place, especially their organs and how they're all cut up.

It is against the law here at Nova, but DO check with your school before you get into picture crazy!

Yep, Netters rocks. Also, Netters has flash cards that are very helpful.
Stick with Netters and the colored atlas that someone above mentioned with lots of nice colorful pictures of dissected bodies!

I had netter and rohen. I used rohen 95% of the time. We were actually told not to get Netter as there were a couple mistakes on the head and neck and not enough detail. check them all out and pick the one you like best....either way you'll ace the exams!!

That is true, Netter does have some errors. Which I cannot recall what they were. But, they will be apparent when you study.