Choice of lender?

Started by somepeon
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

somepeon

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be starting my first year at Nova. I find it interesting that the phone number on Nova's financial aid contact sheet connects to a Sallie Mae representative.

Do we have to use Sallie Mae??? What other lenders are out there and how do we get in touch with them? I would love to see what other options we have in terms of lenders and rates.
 
I'll be starting my first year at Nova. I find it interesting that the phone number on Nova's financial aid contact sheet connects to a Sallie Mae representative.

Do we have to use Sallie Mae??? What other lenders are out there and how do we get in touch with them? I would love to see what other options we have in terms of lenders and rates.

I was in the same situation last year at this time...I opted for THE (northstar.org). The rates are set by the federal government (unless you're going to get private loans), so they are the same no matter where you go. The repayment terms (i.e. discounts for keeping your loan current so long, etc.) is the main place you'll see differences between lenders. Watch out, most require automatic EFT payments to qualify for the discounts...


rkl_OD2be