Choise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, please help me with to decide.

Hey People, I am a current student at 4 tier undergraduate school.

I immigrated 7-8 month ago that is why had no big choice for undergraduate

program. Now i had my first semester got 4.0gpa, making 100 volunteer hours,

got my tuition(not big) covered and made pretty good connections with profs.(I loved them all)

I want to go to top med school, although i am at bad school here, in HS i worked really hard.

Give me advice either to transfer for better undergraudate (then i will have to spend time on SATs,(English is not my 1st language, i will need to work on Verbal pretty enough

Or either to focus on MCAT and stuff, just on med school application,

Can I go to top med school from 4 tier undergraduate university??? If i have good gpa,mcat, Ec,research, volunteer etc...

Please Help me

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to attend a top undergrad to get into a top med school. Work hard, do well, and you'll have as much of a chance as anyone. That being said, don't fall into the trap of obsessing over attending only med schools that are the best of the best. Not everyone gets into the top med schools and that includes those with superb grades and scores. You're going to get a great education at any US medical school, so don't start limiting yourself before you even begin.

Bottom line: don't transfer.

Hi,

The name of your undergraduate institution is not as important as your GPA. However, the quality of your school's curriculum may affect how well you do on the MCAT. In terms of transferring, you probably won't be able to until the end of your freshman or sophomore year. Since all of the basic science content is covered during these first two years, you're probably better of sticking it out there.

I would suggest taking a practice MCAT (I know you haven't taken any pre-reqs), just to see how well you well you do: especially the verbal section. Verbal is a nightmare even for native English speakers.

My advice is to stay at the school you're at, maintain your 4.0, and start studying the MCAT Verbal section as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the name does not matter so much, I am talking about quality of education.
I want to transfer because the science classes are not strong as the school i want to transfer.And the school,
Anhd in this school not many people interested in studying(((

If you do transfer keep in mind that you may not be able to repeat courses that you took at your current school. So if you do want to take core science classes elsewhere, don't take them this year.

Also, if you transfer to a large university, such as the UC system, you will miss the fact that "students aren't interested in studying." Most lower-division UC biology classes have 300+ students and mandatory curves that afford A grades to 7% of the class. Hopefully you can befriend the top students and study with them but it will be competitive nonetheless.