Choose Your Medical School “Detailed” Reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countdracula4u

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for these questions, I just wanted to gain a better understanding of the choose your medical school tool. I know that starting May 1 schools that you are accepted or WL at can see a “detailed” report. From what I understand, schools you are waitlisted or accepted to can see specific information about each of their applicants (whereas before May 1 they could only see aggregate totals).

My question is say I PTE at School A on April 30 and I’m on WL at schools B, C, D and E.

1) I know schools B, C, D and E all can see that I’ve PTE to some school (not knowing which one it is), but can they see how many WL I’m on as well?

2) If schools B, C, D and E can see how many WL I’m on, could they see which schools specifically I’ve been WL at?

3) If the answer to either questions 1 or 2 is yes, wouldn’t it be in my benefit to release some of my WL spots so that School B for example wouldn’t think it’s competing with so many other schools for a specific applicant? Just thinking about this from their perspective and increasing their yield.

Members don't see this ad.

1588278885033.png

They can't see what schools you are WL'd at. Schools B, C, D, and E can see you have PTE'd or CTE'd. None of them can see you are WL'd anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for these questions, I just wanted to gain a better understanding of the choose your medical school tool. I know that starting May 1 schools that you are accepted or WL at can see a “detailed” report. From what I understand, schools you are waitlisted or accepted to can see specific information about each of their applicants (whereas before May 1 they could only see aggregate totals).

My question is say I PTE at School A on April 30 and I’m on WL at schools B, C, D and E.

1) I know schools B, C, D and E all can see that I’ve PTE to some school (not knowing which one it is), but can they see how many WL I’m on as well?

2) If schools B, C, D and E can see how many WL I’m on, could they see which schools specifically I’ve been WL at?

3) If the answer to either questions 1 or 2 is yes, wouldn’t it be in my benefit to release some of my WL spots so that School B for example wouldn’t think it’s competing with so many other schools for a specific applicant? Just thinking about this from their perspective and increasing their yield.
1. No.
2. N/A
3. N/A

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 304736
They can't see what schools you are WL'd at. Schools B, C, D, and E can see you have PTE'd or CTE'd. None of them can see you are WL'd anywhere.
1. No.
2. N/A
3. N/A

thank you for the response! My last question is that I’m getting different feedback from schools on today’s deadline. i know you have to narrow your selection to one school today (keeping as many WL as you’d like), but do you have to specifically PTE to that school?

My thinking here is that not selecting PTE increases your odds for a WL school but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated!

thank you for the response! My last question is that I’m getting different feedback from schools on today’s deadline. i know you have to narrow your selection to one school today (keeping as many WL as you’d like), but do you have to specifically PTE to that school?

My thinking here is that not selecting PTE increases your odds for a WL school but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated!
It is advisable to PTE to one school today. It should have little effect on WL chances.

Honestly don't try to game the system to get off the WL somewhere else like this. Sending letters and showing interest is good, but don't risk losing your only acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly don't try to game the system to get off the WL somewhere else like this. Sending letters and showing interest is good, but don't risk losing your only acceptance
Yeah the unfortunately reality is that there is no waitlist game. You have probably already been scored/ranked ant then are just going down in order. If its a no - ranking school you have already been fully evaluated by the committee. The reality is your name is either gonna get called or it isnt. Your chances to influence were back when you submitted primary, secondary, and interviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
Does everybody understand that these reports are done for purposes of schools planning enrollment and just how deep they may have to go into a waitlist? Acceptance reports in the past were rarely consulted for purposes of somehow evaluating an alternates likelihood of accepting. You know how they check the likelihood of that? they call the alternate and ask. This is why often before you get a formal acceptance you will get an informal call.

This is a late stage symptom of

PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder

A disorder that is a psychotic reaction to the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.

This is the Alternate Hope Off List Event (AHOLE). Affecting a small subset of PREMED suffers, these late stage symptoms are remarkably similar to unrequited affection, including sending letters of intent, obsessively looking for email, phone calls or other communications in reply, constant and repetitious statement of how much they want the new school over the school they already have an acceptance to. Forunately, these AHOLE's only suffer for a few months at best as by summer, it will disappear, either through notice by new school or moving on to existing school
Gonnif- you give very helpful information to posters on this site, so I am confused why so many of your posts routinely mock or deride students seeking help. It's not hard to punch down at anxious, uninformed pre-meds; and it probably turns many away from these forums while contributing to its negative reputation.

Inconsequential in the grand scheme, but perplexing how you simultaneously offer help while seeming to ridicule those who receive it from you.

• Okay...