Choosing a Major. (Not the typical question, btw).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me = Sophomore/Junior

So coming into college I decided I'd like Biology to be my major. However, after taking several courses of Chemistry, I desperately want to change.

Why? I'm more of a logical/mathematical person that a memorizational/literature peson. Which makes me prefer Chemistry over Biology (although both are interesting).

So I want to major in Chemistry now. Well, it's not that simple. I've already taken the life science Math & Physics courses (ARGH!!) which are not suitable for a Chemistry degree. So I'm in quite a dilemma here:

Choice #1) Stick with Bio even though I don't really enjoy it.
Choice #2) Retake Math & Physics (which is a pain in the ass because I already got A's in the previous ones).
Choice #3) Pick a major that deals with Chemistry more than Biology.

Choice #3 seems ideal but I don't know of any such major, hehe :/ The only one that sounds chemistry-like is Biochemistry & Cell Biology.

I also enjoy bodybuilding but can't really find a major that has to do with it. I'd love to learn everything about the endocrine (hormone system), supplements, how muscles work, etc... Argh!

k i gotta end this before i keep yapping, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think #3 might be your best bet, unless you want to put yourself through 1-2 more years of upper division biology classes (bearable or not?) or retake math and physics and possibly graduate later? Ugh, I shudder at the thought of retaking math and physics....
A biochemistry and cell bio major sounds good, although it will still involve a LOT of memorization of pathways and proteins, but will let you take classes like physical biochemistry and nutrition. If you are really interested in how muscles work and endocrinology, maybe you should look into some physiology courses if you decide to stay in the bio dept.-- I'm a physiology major and I really enjoyed taking this awesome physio lab where we observed and manipulated muscle action potentials and neuron recruitment in frogs.
A good idea might be to go through your schedule of classes and the descriptions for each course in chem and biochem and see what looks interesting and exciting to you and go from there, because ultimately, if you can enjoy your classes while getting A's, you are set. Good luck! :)

Which would you rather do: upper level biology or math and physics?

Even if you remain a bio major you'd probably be allowed to take upper level chem courses that interest you.

Also, take a look at the upper level bio courses. You may find them more interesting than the lower level ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha... I have not even graduated high school yet and I already have my entire 4 year college course load worked out (minus electives)... that's taking for granted that I haven't been accepted to my school of choice yet....

I'd go with something like biochem

biochem itself is very mathy and from what I heard Pchem is definitely mathy

astrife said:
haha... I have not even graduated high school yet and I already have my entire 4 year college course load worked out (minus electives)... that's taking for granted that I haven't been accepted to my school of choice yet....

you are a tool. i am a junior and i have no idea what i am taking my senior year.

to the OP i understand your concern and you should pick a major that you enjoy, but I am just guessing med school is 95% memorization.

Pick the major that you love, school will be so much more fun. As for your bodybuilding love, how about taking some physiology and anatomy courses? You'll need them anyway. I love working out and I thought these classes were really interesting.

med school is mostly about memorization rather than analytical thinking in the mathematical or engineering sense. if you think you're better at the analytical stuff, you might find it beneficial to improve (or at least get used to) your memorization skill...it will definitely be more helpful to you in med school.

so i guess i'd say stick with bio...

Em1 said:
Which would you rather do: upper level biology or math and physics?

Even if you remain a bio major you'd probably be allowed to take upper level chem courses that interest you.

Also, take a look at the upper level bio courses. You may find them more interesting than the lower level ones.

Plus, some of the upper level bio courses are more like biochemistry. I'm taking cell biology right now and there's a lot of chemistry in it. There's also a lot of overlap with the biochemistry course that I'm taking right now and our biochem professor told us this morning that the stuff we just had a test on (in cell bio) is something that will show up again in second semester of biochem.

Would you be able to double major at your school? At my school if you get a double major in two different sciences, you don't have to take as many classes for each science. That way, you'd be able to take more chemistry classes and only take the bio classes that you think would interest you.

Whatever you plan on doing, just make sure that you'll still be able to graduate with a major.

yeah, i would suggest sticking with the bio major, but taking the chemistry-intensive bio courses as much as possible...take molecular genetics, immunology, cell bio, etc...

and to the high school kid who thinks he has four years of college planned out, all i can say is :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet! Thanks for the help everyone, I really really really appreciate it!

It's not that I hate bio, it's just I prefer chem ANyDAY over bio :)

I'm going to look at some of the physiology programs and then probably make a decision.

Thanks again :)

MrDreamWeaver said:
I've already taken the life science Math & Physics courses (ARGH!!) which are not suitable for a Chemistry degree. So I'm in quite a dilemma here:

Are these life sciences courses the kind that med schools accept? Many schools offer two series, one for science majors, one for all others. The physics, chem and bio you learn in the "others" curriculum usually aren't accepted by med schools. So you may have to retake regardless.