Choosing a Major..SOMEONE HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!!

I am a senior in high school and my post-graduation plans are to attend the University of Southern Mississippi and obtain a B. S. in Psychology and complete the pre-med program.

I would like to know if what field of study I obtain a degree in plays a big part in getting excepted into medical school? Is it necessary to major in a biological science, chemistry, etc? Do people who major in a field of science have a better chance of being excepted into medical school than someone who dosn't?
If you don't mind maybe some of you could share with me what major you chose in college? I hope I have not asked to many questions but I have been stressing over this and all the high school quidance counselors seem to do is give me the run around,such as: "Choose a field you would like to go into besides medicine". I figured I would have better luck asking someone who has been where I am trying to go, that is why I came here for help. Also,what is the difference between med/ped and ped?
For my final question, has anyone attended the University of Mississippi Medical Center? If so would you please share with me your experiences as a med student or resident at the university?

SO SOMEBODY ANYBODY PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
ANY KIND OF HELP will be Greatly APPRECIATED.

Shun

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

You don't need to major on a science field to get accepted to medical school. Major on what interests you. Some medical schools like to see well rounded applicants, there are a lot of english, history, philosophy, etc...majors, not just science. As I said, major on what interests you but do good on your premed courses so that med schools can see you can do good in science and non-science academics.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Eduardo:
•Hey

You don't need to major on a science field to get accepted to medical school. Major on what interests you. Some medical schools like to see well rounded applicants, there are a lot of english, history, philosophy, etc...majors, not just science. As I said, major on what interests you but do good on your premed courses so that med schools can see you can do good in science and non-science academics.

Good Luck!•

Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to decide on a major now. At least for your freshman year, take courses that interest you or explore courses that you haven't been exposed to in college. If you decide by the beggining of your sophmore year, you'd probably be able to finish your major requirements at a relaxed pace, as well as the pre-med requirements, and have time to take alot of electives.

The advantages of a bio background is that you're not completely wet coming to med school.

Med schools don't really care what your major is as long as you get a decent GPA and take all the pre-med requirements.
I wish I had known/listed to this when I was in college b/c I only brought down my GPA by majoring is bio vs. majoring in my other interests of exercise science (my double major) and psych. I held onto bio b/c I thought med schools wanted it, only to find out they see sooo many bio majors that they actually love the interesting art history or film majors more for their uniquness.
PLUS there is that very probable chance that you either change your mind about medicine(as most premeds do) or at least have a year or so between college and med school, so you might as well choose a major that you like and that you are possibly interested in using to get a job during that non-med school time if you end up having it. Good luck and remember to have fun in college and don't be like those super-stressed premeds.

Major in what you enjoy. I have two degrees in philosophy, and the med schools don't mind at all.

As a previous poster said, you are more likely to do well in a major you like.

College is about getting a well-rounded education as opposed to being merely a prep school for med school or being a trade school. I think if you keep that in mind, you'll be able to choose your major wisely.

--kris

Good luck and remember to have fun in college and don't be like those super-stressed premeds.

All the other advice is great, but this is what you should definitely listen to. Have fun. College can be the best years of your life. And just do the best you can. If you start worrying about grades, you're screwed. It will eat away at you. Yes, study hard (and major in whatever the hell you want), but college is more than grades. It's what you make it. So make it fun. Because once you get to med school, life just sucks ass. Big time.

Nugget

I pretty much agree with what's been said by everyone so far (although I don't think med school "sucks ass"- it's not that bad, it's more about time management, and MANAGING to have a good time too...)
Anyway, I once pondered this question, and decided to stick with the sciences, because it was what I enjoyed in case I didn't get in to med school. HOWEVER, I wasn't 100% sure about this (just to reassure you that it's normal not to know), and I researched this topic... and as of a few years ago I know that statistically speaking, non-science majors had a better acceptance rate to med schools than science majors...not that I place all my faith in statistics, but hopefully this will make you feel a little more at ease if you choose a non-science major. THE KEY is to choose what you enjoy, because outside the pre-reqs, adcoms could care less what you were as an undergrad.

First of all relax...it's not the biggest deal in the world...just pick something you're interested in and do well in those classes...more importantly, do awesome in your pre-med classes...that's all there is to it...(but have a reason why you picked your major...what attracted you to it?)