Choosing A Major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DekDental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advise on choosing which major to go into to get into dental school. I have heard that people major in bio, life sciences, chem... any advise would help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything. Just make sure you take the pre-requisite courses and some upper division science courses. The most important thing is that you major in something that you like and perform well in the science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need advise on choosing which major to go into to get into dental school. I have heard that people major in bio, life sciences, chem... any advise would help. Thanks
Doesn't matter. I'd take what interests you. Business courses would be nice, but doesn't overlap with required courses

I would say engineering. It shows the adcom that you're technically savvy and that you're not afraid to take hard classes. It would also differentiate you from all those biology majors. If you don't get into DS, you still have a good major to fall back on.

FYI, I am an engineer and I got accepted to multiple dental schools.

Major in whatever interests you! You can also double major in a science and something you enjoy or have a major and a minor. Set yourself apart from other applicants!

Major in Biochem. The pathways will train you to memorize tons of info in short period of time and do well on DAT.

^I would disagree. I wouldn't major in biochem unless you're really interested in it, as it is one of the hardest majors. I was a biochem major until my second year and it seriously screwed my GPA because I had to take chemistry courses designed for engineers. :(

If you're not exactly sure what you're interested in, I would take some easy science major, so you can get a high GPA. Note that an easy science major is NOT easy, but easier relative to other science majors. I heard that dental schools don't really care what you major in as long as you fulfill the prereqs so be like an electron and take the path of least resistance lol.

I agree that Biochem is hard but it is definitely a great way to distinguish yourself from the crowd. It depends on how u perform on Orgo and other pre reqs. I did great on OC and thus passed Biochemistry classes with flying colors. One thing that I found worth sharing is that after finishing Biochem I was able to integrate GC, OC and BIO topics which definitely helps on standardized tests!

If you're choosing your major specifically to get into dental school then search the websites of your top five schools. If you're looking at Penn, they highly value diversity in undergraduate majors, if you're looking at your state school they probably accept alot of bio, chem, & biochem majors.

I would major in a foreign language.... fun and very useful in healthcare.

It's always hard to decide, did you make your decision already? I had a really hard time deciding between Psych and Anthropology so I just did Psych to make my schedule less hectic. However, it was one of the best decisions that I made! The adcoms loved my Anthro minor but also respected that I knew about medical/social sciences that will be able to help me in med school.

This video helped me:

I think it will help you too even though you’re a future dental student. I think the med/dental philosophy of majors is similar. Do what you are passionate about, but remember that GPA is super, super important so you'll have to try different things so you can keep it high! However, you'll do well if you're into it. Let us know what you decide!

It's always hard to decide, did you make your decision already? I had a really hard time deciding between Psych and Anthropology so I just did Psych to make my schedule less hectic. However, it was one of the best decisions that I made! The adcoms loved my Anthro minor but also respected that I knew about medical/social sciences that will be able to help me in med school.

This post is from 2010, and OP hasn't been around since 2013! Make sure to check the dates before reviving an old thread.

Welcome to SDN, btw!

Reactions: 1 user