Choosing a Postbacc program+ Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mcgreysfan

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Upfront- I am super new to this path and community so I really appreciate any advice that comes my way.

I'm a recentish grad (May 2015) with a degree in econ and an MBA Cornell University - I work in hospital operations (process improvement) now. I have a pretty good GPA from both programs (~3.8) and 2100 SAT. I haven't taken any pre-reqs so will be starting from scratch as I look to apply to postbacs and med schools. No clinical volunteering experience but am obviously working in a hospital setting now so have lots of exposure in that way.

My questions are:
1. I'm looking at the range of postbac programs and am wondering how feasible some of the top (i.e. Goucher and Bryn Mawn) programs would be for me to get into. As I am just starting the application process now, I would need to apply this summer and wait until next fall to start at these 1-year programs. I also have the option of applying right now and starting Northwestern's program this fall part time (which would be way cheaper and i could get my work to pay for part of it). I'm just nervous about waiting a whole year if there's a slim chance I get into these programs anyway.

2. How important are/were linkages in choosing a postbac? Again choosing between a program like NU vs. Gaucher, BM, etc.

Thanks for your help!