choosing a research mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantGiantsFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming MS-1 who is interested in a research/academic medicine career pathway. I have begun to explore research options at my new med school, and two of them stick out. I was hoping I could get some input that could help me decide which one to choose.

One of my potential research advisors is a well-established schizophrenia researcher that runs a huge lab with many postdocs and grad students. He has only an MD, so he has already succeeded on the pathway that I will begin. He is well known, so his recs may have added influence when I am applying to residencies, postdocs, or fellowship programs. Also, his lab uses a variety of techniques that I am unfamiliar with, and this might help me expand my experience repertoire.

The other one is less well-established, and has a small lab, with only one or two grad students. He is a PhD who is just starting out. However, it is the subject of his research that seems so much more fascinating to me than the research of the other lab. He is doing computational modeling of disease and cognitive behavioral therapy research, a popular new field.

Common sense tells me that I should go with the more established researcher and learn some new wet-lab techniques. And who knows, I may come to like it. But I also feel like in the long run it is the other researcher's work that I am interested in. Has anyone here faced a similar dilemma?

Members don't see this ad.

I too will be be mentor hunting, and these are the questions I'm going to ask myself when I meet potential mentors:

1) Is this person too busy to ever get to know me?

2) Is my interest high enough in what this person is doing that I will work hard to learn more?

3) How comfortable am I talking with this person?

4) How much time will I be able to meet with this mentor, learn about their experiences and solicit their advice in cultivating my own?

5) Does this person share to some extent my values? (This is something that I see as important in what I wanting to work on.)

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: 1 user