choosing a ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

average

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In no specific order:

Mayo
University of virginia
University of florida
Indiana university
University of Colorado health sciences

One concern that I am having when making my ROL is the eventual job search. I may or may not stay in the area where I train and want to have as much flexablity as possible. Would it make much of a difference among these 5 as to the eventual job search (likely community practice)? If so, which ones have a better reputation? Overall I see pros and cons to each and am trying to order them. My ROL changes almost daily and this question keeps coming to mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I think all except UF have a good national reputation that wouldn't hinder you much. UF is probably good as well, I just don't hear about them as much. Don't forget, you can always do fellowships somewhere else if you want, and that may be even more important in your job search. Mayo obviously has a good reputation which is national (although mostly the area between california and minnesota, and the south). I would say UVA and IU are the best programs you have listed there, but you have to decide for yourself and shouldn't go on anyone else's opinion. You will make your own prestige and if you are a good resident and work hard, etc, that will be the best way to get a better job.

You can try a little game and just pretend on match day like you matched to each of those, and see how you feel. When I did that I found that one program I thought I liked I was a bit disappointed to consider getting, so I shoved it down to #5 or 6.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been trying that game quite a bit recently but my thoughts seem to change with my mood. grrr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been trying that game quite a bit recently but my thoughts seem to change with my mood. grrr.

You're not alone! This is becoming a lot harder than I anticipated. One day a place is a sure #1, and when I wake up the next morning I wonder what I was thinking. Its becoming downright scary.

You are so right. My #1 yesterday is now my #4. haha.