Choosing a School - A financial choice? Scholarship opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grover2k9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation. I qualify for in-state tuition for NOVA in florida, since my parents moved their upon my graduation from High School.

Here are my Stats:

I'll graduate with about a 3.7 GPA and a 390 TS / 370 AA on the OATs. I also have extensive community service - I have been the head junior varsity / varsity assistant coach for a high school soccer team for 3 years - (20+ hours a week every fall). I also am involved in other ways including honararies and who's who among college students or whatever that thing is called.

In addition, I have accumulated 150+ hours working directly under an optometrist (administering pre-testing including tonometry, visual field, etc., filing insurance claims, checking perscriptions on glasses, ordering contacts).

So.... what is the likelihood of a school giving me scholarship, we're talking enough to beat NOVAs in-state ticket price? (below 17,000/year).

Also, is it unwise to make a decision based on finances? Nova has other things going for it for me too (proximity to my family, nice area). I have also been told in the grand scheme of things the optometry schools are similiar so the financial decision is a wise one. ARGGG - I JUST DONT KNOW!

Please share your experiences / offer advice. I have also considered going the military route under the Air Force to finance school - feel free to share experiences with that as well.

PS: I'd be looking to start school fall of 09'

Thanks ahead of time for sharing.

Eric

Members don't see this ad.

I will be enrolling in classes at UAB this coming fall and just decided on UAB over Ohio state, Indiana and Nova. I think it is very important to look at all aspects of your possible choices including finances, family and the potential opportunities each school offers. I also live in Florida and attend UF and chose UAB over the other schools based somewhat on finances. When I went to my interview at Nova they told me they only give out 1 or 2 scholarships to incoming students and it is based on merit but mostly on financial need. Because of that I chose UAB because I was awarded a very generous scholarship. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I received some excellent advise from an OD that I know well....when applying, I had 3 schools in mind, and I didn't know how to choose. He said, "The most important thing to look at is the cost of going to school there. The schools are going to teach basically the same thing, and you're going to get out of it what you put into it...regardless of where you go." The bottom line is that you want to get out of school owing the least amount possible.

I agree with this 100%. I chose UAB based on its reputation and cost of tuition. When you graduate, you want to be able to choose your path versus having no choice because you have so much debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received some excellent advise from an OD that I know well....when applying, I had 3 schools in mind, and I didn't know how to choose. He said, "The most important thing to look at is the cost of going to school there. The schools are going to teach basically the same thing, and you're going to get out of it what you put into it...regardless of where you go." The bottom line is that you want to get out of school owing the least amount possible.

That was excellent advice you were given and the same thing I've been saying around here for a while. Remember, you're in optometry school for only four years. You'll be paying for it for the next thirty. Go to the school that's your cheapest option.

I think you have a great shot at getting scholarships, honestly. My stats aren't as good as yours and I got one at SCO. A lot of the reason why I chose SCO was because of the cheap tuition combined with the number of scholarships they offer - they have a ton!

Grover2k9,
I don't have any advice tooofer you regarding finances and school of choice but with your impressive stats why don't you apply to med school and become a physician? You will be more marketable in the long run along with many other advantages of being an MD over OD.
My 2 cents. If I could it over I would have gone MD route.

All the Best to you!

I don't suppose any of the school offer a full scholarship? meaning cover all tuitions and fees? so far I've heard of only small scholarship 1000 here and 500 there, I mean they add up and certainly helps with the loan, but it would be nice if schools have a full scholarship :)

I don't know for sure, but one of the best ways to get school paid for is probably through the military. There are pros and cons, but during our orientation we had several recruiters come from the Navy, Army, etc. It seems like they pay for most, if not all, of tuition and books. Your grades have to be high, and I think OAT has to be 350 or above. But you have to fulfill a committment when you graduate.

I don't suppose any of the school offer a full scholarship? meaning cover all tuitions and fees? so far I've heard of only small scholarship 1000 here and 500 there, I mean they add up and certainly helps with the loan, but it would be nice if schools have a full scholarship :)

http://www.sco.edu/catalog/scholarships_and_awards.html

That is all of the scholarships SCO offers. They go up to $20,000 a year.

So here is my situation. I qualify for in-state tuition for NOVA in florida, since my parents moved their upon my graduation from High School.

Here are my Stats:

I'll graduate with about a 3.7 GPA and a 390 TS / 370 AA on the OATs. I also have extensive community service - I have been the head junior varsity / varsity assistant coach for a high school soccer team for 3 years - (20+ hours a week every fall). I also am involved in other ways including honararies and who's who among college students or whatever that thing is called.

In addition, I have accumulated 150+ hours working directly under an optometrist (administering pre-testing including tonometry, visual field, etc., filing insurance claims, checking perscriptions on glasses, ordering contacts).

So.... what is the likelihood of a school giving me scholarship, we're talking enough to beat NOVAs in-state ticket price? (below 17,000/year).

Also, is it unwise to make a decision based on finances? Nova has other things going for it for me too (proximity to my family, nice area). I have also been told in the grand scheme of things the optometry schools are similiar so the financial decision is a wise one. ARGGG - I JUST DONT KNOW!

Please share your experiences / offer advice. I have also considered going the military route under the Air Force to finance school - feel free to share experiences with that as well.

PS: I'd be looking to start school fall of 09'

Thanks ahead of time for sharing.

Eric

In general you definitely should go where it is going to be the cheapest for you. However, there may be many circumstances and if you can't get in-state tuition somewhere, then the tuition cost is probably going to be fairly comprable wherever you go. Check out what rent prices are in the area. I applied to 2 schools, Pacific and SCCO. I'm from Oregon, so obviously Pacific was my first choice, but also rent is much cheaper in Forest Grove, OR than it is in Fullerton, CA. I pay 550 a month for a small 2 bedroom, the same apartment in Fullerton would have been 1000-1200 a month!