Choosing a speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a student up to the point of choosing a speciality. However, I am not very clear on the nature of work of some specialities. I don't like to perform surgery, but I want to specialize in a field.

1. Do all specialities require the use of surgery?

2. What are some specialities that don't require the performance of surgery?

Please list at least 4-5 non-surgerical specialities.

THx,
USX

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a student up to the point of choosing a speciality.

You are listed as Pre-Health. I would take this to mean you are not in medical school? If so, it is WAY to soon to be thinking about choosing a specialty, especially when you haven't experienced them yet.

However, I am not very clear on the nature of work of some specialities. I don't like to perform surgery, but I want to specialize in a field.

There is a difference btwn surgery and doing procedures. Few have the former as a requirement for training, many have the latter. But let's assume you mean you don't want to do any procedures either...

1. Do all specialities require the use of surgery?

No. But you WILL have to to rotate through Surgery during medical school.

2. What are some specialities that don't require the performance of surgery?

THx,
USX

Hmmm...non-surgerical specialties...there aren't many that don't do any surgeries or procedures.

Psychiatry
Medical Genetics

Most other specialties require at least the ability to perform procedures (ie, endoscopy, lumbar punctures, biopsies, etc.)

I can't see why anyone would want to do anything non-surgerical. I love surgerizing and managing peri-surgericalization issues.

surgerizing?! :)

i like doing surgical procedures because it gives a sense of accomplishment. Take the mass out, stop a bleeder, put in a catheter, etc. There's a goal, there's clear cut direction, and there is tangible result seen almost immediately. It gives you a "high". Oh and yeah, you get to wear scrubs at work and listen to your type of music. And the patients think you are uber cool.

i do prefer the nonsurgical specialties because i want less stress in terms of training, more lifestyle hours for my family, and lesser bravado among colleagues. The last one's a personal observation (peace to the surgeons but you know you guys are waaaay competitive!:cool:). I also feel that less people are able to tolerate handling "watchful waiting" and "non-clearcut" cases, and I find that I am able to handle that. Also, I guess I'm entertaining the possiblity of a life that isn't too results-oriented and handling patient autonomy. It's a huge stress on it's own though...so maybe my first reason doesn't stand as much.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference.

It might help us if the OP told us what about surgery he/she disliked.

If its a "fear of blood and guts", fear of technical challenges, etc. Like buckley notes, almost all students enjoy surgery, doing procedures but most do not enjoy the lifestyle and hence choose other fields.

So if you could clarify your reasons and when you are asking about "non-surgerical" fields if you also mean you're not interested in doing any procedures, it would be very helpful.

Hi, I am a student up to the point of choosing a speciality.

You cannot possibly be a medical student and be asking this question. This is either a joke post or you are not at "the point of choosing a specialty."

You are listed as Pre-Health. I would take this to mean you are not in medical school? If so, it is WAY to soon to be thinking about choosing a specialty, especially when you haven't experienced them yet.

I had my choices narrowed down to two areas (musculoskeletal and acute care) before I entered med school, and still have no interest in anthing else.

I had my choices narrowed down to two areas (musculoskeletal and acute care) before I entered med school, and still have no interest in anthing else.

Considering that "musculoskeletal" and "acute care" are not two recognized specialties in the US, it would seem that an interest in something else might be beneficial. Do you mean Orthopedics or EM?:confused:

At any rate, the *vast* majority of medical students who come in with their mind made up regarding a specialty, end up changing their mind, hence my advice above.

Musculoskeletal huh?

How about PM&R with a sports/occ med/interventional spine/pain focus?

Considering that "musculoskeletal" and "acute care" are not two recognized specialties in the US, it would seem that an interest in something else might be beneficial. Do you mean Orthopedics or EM?:confused:

At any rate, the *vast* majority of medical students who come in with their mind made up regarding a specialty, end up changing their mind, hence my advice above.

I decided against acute care because those guys don't get to surgerize. And the thing about musculoskeletal is that the surgericalizations are pretty boring, and I just didn't want to be a bored surgerizer.

I decided against acute care because those guys don't get to surgerize. And the thing about musculoskeletal is that the surgericalizations are pretty boring, and I just didn't want to be a bored surgerizer.

George Bush planning his post-presidency...

I meant specialities that are more diagnostic based rather than surgerical based. Sry about the confusion

That doesn't help.

Surgerical people also diagnose patients.

BTW, the proper spelling of the word is "surgical" or "surgically" based.

Don't listen to her. She's just trying to ruin my fun. Surgerical is the way to go. That's my strategery as a surgetron and I'm sticking to it.

I meant specialities that are more diagnostic based rather than surgerical based. Sry about the confusion
Have you even done one 3rd year clerkship?

I heard there is huge demand nowadays for musculoskeletalologists.